Re: [Epic] [Epic40K] 1000pt Eldar Army list for critique

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 17:10:26 -0700

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 05:51 PM 6/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Mark A Shieh wrote:
> >>
> >> My take is that since you "upgrade a unit to be HQ" for 25
> >> points, it does take up a slot. Of course, since my books aren't
> >> here, I'd appreciate it if someone posted the exact wording of the
> >> +25 point HQ.
> >
> > What exact wording? This is GW we're talking about here. =)
> >I'm pretty sure there's no mention of the whole +25 outside of the
> >armies book listings.
>
> My take on it is that the detachment commander is listed separately from the
> main list. If it was supposed to count as part of the main list, then it
> should be listed under the main detachment upgrades to bikes, psykers, jump
> packs, whatever, and not in the commander section.
>
> Temp

Well, the exact wording is in a little box on most of the detachments.
It says:
"Notes: Any unit that is part of the detachment can be designated as the
detachment's HQ subject to the detachment's chain of command."

I don't think they wanted to put "upgrade to HQ but only if this unit is
at the top of the chain of command, max one per detachment... +25" after
every main force entry. It's pretty clear that you pick your forces
first, then select one of the units you're allowed under the main force
limits and give it a 25 point promotion. The list certainly doesn't
allow an extra unit to be purchased in excess of these limits to
fulfill the role of HQ.

-Lemm