Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 23:43:35 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 8-Jun-97 Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats --.. by David
Dresser_at_...
> Couple of things I'd like to comment on. First, the crit damage charts
> add a rules exception on a result of 2-6. I'd prefer that the overlord
> had a save, I think that this would accurately represent the
> self-sealing bags in game terms and wouldn't add new rules. The crit
> chart would lump 2-6 in with 7, " + 0 tear doesn't re-seal immediately;
> damage taken as normal." I really do like the idea of having the
> overlord always take critical damage.

Alrighty, that's a second method. I do agree (as I just stated) that
altering the 2-6 result is a good thing. Seeing as Mark also mentioned
giving the Overlord a holofield-type save (and no, we are *not*
coordinating this, I'm in Reading PA and he's either in NJ or
Pittsburgh), I'll jump the gun a pick that method. ^_^;;; 4+ save,
still at 4 DC, takes at least one point every time it fails the save,
and averages just under two points. Does anyone have a problem or
comment on the armour value of 5?

> "The Overlord cannot be assaulted, but it may be engaged in a firefight
> by troops with 30+ cm weapons." Two more rules exceptions.

I was counting them as one (since the thing is rather high in the sky), but....

>I don't
> think the first one can be avoided. I do think that the "30+ cm
> weapons" restriction is unnecessary and should be removed. Firefights
> can take place between blind, unarmed detachments with no possible way
> of reaching each other. A bit of height shouldn't really matter either.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of the "no possible way of reaching each other"; I
guess firefights *will* take place, though, even if there is an
infintely high wall extending the breadth of the board between the
forces. <sigh> Even so, though, I'd thought the minimum range was
nearly a given, since I'd had the +15 cm to range in order to shoot at
the Overlord. (Also due to the height....)

Though, I guess if you consider the Overlord "a skimmer on permanent
pop-up" as I just wrote in my reply to Allen, neither of the above (+15
cm to range, or the requirement for firefights) can apply. So... unless
there's a groundswell of support for 'em, I'll nix 'em.

> Drift. Y'know, I've got all these scatter dice sitting around...

<grin> But that would be unfair to all those who *didn't* spend hordes
of money buying the previous edition.... (half ^_- )

I dunno if I should tell the list, but my first though on how to
implement drift was to have both players roll a d6, and the Overlord
moves x cm in the direction of each die, where x is the number on the
die face. That way the players could try to psych each other out with
the direction they're going to try & toos the Overlord in, and other
stuff.

I'd also considered having drift apply to the Overlord *every* turn,
although in that case the Overlord could maneuver without regard to the
direction it's currently facing.
                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...
                    Squat Leader, Den'Len Fetch