Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:12:51 -0400 (EDT)

Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...> writes:
> Excerpts from Epic: 9-Jun-97 Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats --.. by Alan
> Brain_at_....
> > c) That an absolute minimum of special rules be added, hopefully none.
>
> Yes... but if you've read through most of my posts and the responses,
> many if not all of the special rules have vanished. (Though I still
> like making the Thunderfire Cannon immobile, but as I pointed out that's
> not changing anything.)

        Yeah, there was the original idea of making the Thunderfire
Cannon "Rampage" to avoid any use of special rules, but we actually
felt that it was better to avoid any confusion of trying to use them
in Close Assault.

> > 3. SHVs
> > Keep them as Leviathan variants. For one thing, that's what they are. I
> > know a lot of people would like to see special rules, but the concept
> > of:
> >
> > Leviathan = Chassis + Transport(8) + MegaCannon
> > Cyclops = Chassis + Hvy Barrage + Death Ray
> > Colossus = Chassis + Hvy Barrage + MegaCannon + Artillery
> >
> > seems to me to be both accurate and simple. As well as providing a fair
> > variety of weapons choices.
>
> Here, I strongly disagree.
[snip]

        Well, what if you made the Colossus a Warlord variant?
2xHeavy Weapons Vattery + Heavy Barrage + MegaCannon? Mind you, this
makes them spendy, yet very easy to find a cost for. :) To make up
for the lack of versatility compared to Imperial Titans, the
MegaCannon can have its range increased 15cm for no additional cost.
Keep the critical damage table the same, with name changes.

        On similar lines, the Cyclops could be made a Reaver with a
Heavy Weapons Battery, Heavy Barrage, and a Death Rays. (Yes, this
makes the Hellfury lack its former punch.)

> As I've said before, the Colossus is a *far* superior fighting machine
> to the Leviathan, as well. And the Cyclops, while closer to the
> Leviathan in general firepower (weaker, in fact), has the Hellfury
> Cannon. If you keep 'em seperate, then we've got a list of five SHVs so
> far. (3 Chassis, Overlord, Land Train.) Yes, that's more than any
> other race. But you also need to keep in mind that the Squats don't
> have any kind of normal tank -- the SHVs are their specialty. Let 'em
> keep 'em.

        No it's not. There is no SHV class or Titan class any more,
there's the War Engine class. The totals are something like
Squat: 5
Imperium: 7
Eldar: 3
Orks: 4
Tyranids: 3? (no clue)

        So having 5 War engines doesn't seem out of place to me.

Mark