Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:44:34 -0500

At 07:33 PM 6/9/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>It has a 1/6 chance of going down in flames, and a 15/36
>> chance of taking no damage, a 1/6 chance of taking normal damage, a 5/36 of
>> 2 pts, and a 1/9 of 3 pts. Given this, I'm guessing about 6 hits will be
>> necessary to take it out of commission on average, and it can possibly last
>> indefinitely.
>
>If you add up the odds, it takes 3.

1 hit = 15/36*0 + 1/6*1 + 5/36*2 + 1/9*3 = .778 pts/hit
4 hits/.778pts/hit = 5.14 hits

When you add in the chance of an auto kill, it comes out at around 3. I
stand corrected. That still puts it up there with Scorpions and Battle
Fortresses, but with more fp (twice the fp of the Battle Fortress). It also
has additional defenses, i.e. extra range, no assault, reduced ff
effectiveness against it (maybe), and there is simply NO WAY anyone in their
right mind is going to ff something with 17 fp (barrage in ff) + support
anyway unless something is way wrong. While this is pretty much the
standard case with titans, it is not at all the case for other WEs.

>And the change to a 4+ fixed save

I really don't like the save idea.

>One other thing to remember, however: Most WEs have a 6+ armour, not a
>5+, or else they have scads of protection in front of the save
>(Holofields, 12 void shields, whatever).. Neither of the two you
>compare the Overlord to do (which is, I assume, why you picked them) but
>that (IMO) means they might not be the best to compare the Overlord to.

I guess so. I think the problem is I never saw the Overlord as a titan
class machine (5+ hits,12 fp for the Warhound). I think it should be in the
superheavy tank category, i.e. 3+ hits to destroy and fp 8 to 12. I also
always thought the idea of a big balloon being so incredibly hard to kill
was somewhat ludicrous . . .

So with your original post, it is roughly as tough as the Superheavies, and
has just under twice the average firepower. I think your original value of
150 points is a good place to start playtesting. It also happens to fall in
about the same place the old one did w/ respect to costs for superheavies.
I think the auto-crit idea is a good one, as I would think that when
something went wrong with your armored weather ballon, it is liable to go
very wrong, very quickly. On the other hand, a minor puncture is little
more than a nuisance.

Temp