Re: [Epic] Buildings in E40k

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 97 23:22:31 EDT

At 03:40 PM 6/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
> I have to agree that giving buildings assault & FP values
>is fairly silly. With bunkers it's understandable because bunkers
>are going to be defended & they are firmly on one army's side.
>Normal buildings are not going to have guns and they're not on
>anyone's side... Just state that you can't assault or firefight
>normal buildings. I don't care how many guys armed with chainswords
>and pistols attack a building, it ain't coming down. Back in the
>good 'ole days (ie SM/TL =) buildings could only be CC'd by titans
>with close combat weapons anyway.
>
>Scott
>shupes_at_...

Actually, I like the idea of giving buildings an assault value. It's just
a little more abstract than with regular units. For example, a unit of
or tactical marines armed with bolters and some sort of personal close
combat weapon (now special CC weapons like chainswords, powerswords, and
the like, just a combat blade or something) isn't going to be able to hurt
the building as much as dedicated close combat troops are. Picture
assaults on a building as demolition maneuvers(sp?). A large building will
come down pretty hard if you take out the correct supports. Granted, most
assault troops are not likely to be demolition experts, but they can set
up some explosives to take the whole thing down. I really don't think it
would be hard to take down a small building. By small, I mean something
along the lines of 40mm by 40mm, and no more than say 40mm tall. I could
definitely envision squads of devies taking it down with well placed missle
shots, or at least badly damaging it. I can also envision assault troops
blowing it to all hell with demolition charges on main supports, as well.

As for rules suggestions, why not make the assaulting troops first have
to assault any enemy troops inside the building, and then being able to
assault the building itself. For example, let's say that five units of
regular orc boyz are inside a building. 3 stands of assault marines want
to take down that same structure. They first fight a CC wth the orcs,
but instead of doing regular CC, just add up all the assault values of
the troops inside the building to compare with the combined assault value
of the attacker's units (everyone is involved), and don't allow support
(most of the fighting is being done inside the building). If the assaulting
detachment succeeds, it fights off the defending units long enough to be
able to set the charges. Then the assault on the building can happen.

One thing I would add, at least for infantry assaulting buildings, is an
added risk factor of the assault troops not getting out in time. Sort
of like the War Engines, whose catastrophic damage can sometimes encompass
a large. Maybe modify the catastrophic damage tables for buildings and
add this kind of thing in, i.e. on a 6 for catastrophic damage, all units
within say d6 cm take a hit, or something like that.

If you want to get more complex, you could always add in buildings falling.
For those of us with scatter dice, it wouldn't be hard to get a random
direction for the building to fall in. Otherwise, just roll a d12 for
direction or something. Anything under the building takes a hit, maybe
with a 4+ save as per infantry inside transports that get destroyed.

Sorry if I rambled.

Elias