Re: [Epic] Battle Honors - rough draft

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:41:50 -0500

At 03:38 PM 6/13/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> Marksmanship - causes criticals on a 5 or 6, death ray shots get +2 to
>> critical roll
>
> Way too powerful. A simple +1 to crit rolls would be better,
>IMHO.

Well, the really tough stuff is high on the bell curve for the big titans,
but I guess versus smaller WEs it would be too much.

>> Legend - titan gains command ability
>
> Good one.

Thank you.

>> Psyker Princep - titan gains psyker ability
>
> eh... I don't know. I really don't see Imperial titans as
>being psychic at all. Some kind of psychic defense (as an upgrade)
>would be better, I think.

Well, they used to have the devotional bell and the Castellan head. The
head definitely had offensive abilities. Besides, it would cost 100 points
if you bought it outright versus 10 to upgrade a phantom to a warlock.

>> Bonesingers - +1 to repair rolls (possibly +2, since they can't repair void
>> shields)
>
> Yeah, but then you're making repair rolls on 2+... fairly
>disgusting, I think. Then again, considering that Eldar titans would
>probably have a fair amount of damage to repair, maybe it isn't that
>bad.

Yeah. I'm torn on that. It definitely needs playtesting.

>> Hip Shooting - titan may fire during the vehicle fire phase
>
> With some penalty, right? Otherwise this could get nasty,
>especially with extra honors like Lightning Reflexes.

Yeah, it needs some penalty, but what? I think being counted as being on
assault orders is too stiff. Maybe a -1 for SHWs, and leave the fp (eldar
titans cont' have much anyway).

>> Commander:
>>
>> Farseer - gain extra fate card
>
> This might be too much as well.

Not in a larger battle.

>> Upgrades:
>>
>> Mandi-Blasters - titan gains +5 assault, and 2fp at 15cm range
>
> Why the extra Assault? Mandi-blasters (both the original
>honor and on striking scorpians) are just short ranged FP.

It really needs to help them out. Eldar titans are fine in hth, but rather
weak in firefights compared to other titans. Perhaps +0 assault and 4fp?

>> Fire Hoses - gargant immune to damage from fires
>
> You might as well have kept the Imp & Eldar reactor
>shutdown ability... Fires are only 1 entry (and a fairly
>high-up one at that) on the gargant crit table, making this
>pretty useless. You could just make it -1 to all crit rolls,
>or -1 to extra damage from crit rolls, keeping in mind how
>easy it was to start fires on gargants back in SM/TL.

Right. I was stretching the Ork upgrade section as much as possible, and I
thought fires were in a couple of crits (no book handy . . .)

>> Bio-engineering:
>>
>> Improved Regeneration - as Imperial Camage Control
>
> Improved? Ya gotta have it first before you can improve
>on it...

Wahh wahh! Poor little insectoids . . . seriously, the "official" answer is
that the regeneration is factored into their DC and crit charts.

> Not bad for the bugs. Looks like there's going to have
>to be some upgrades for Chaos titans, though...

Yep. Tails and stuff.

> For upgrades, you could use stuff which used to be freely
>available but isn't any longer, ie weapon heads, CC heads, carapace
>lasers, etc.

I'll compile a list for chaos and give Orks more thought. This is
definitely still a work in progress . . . Gork and Mork heads, spotting
platforms, . . . chaos tails, . . . (as Temp goes wandering off shaking his
head and mumbling to himself)

Temp