Re: [Epic] barraging titans (was: Squats -- different list)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:57:27 -0400 (EDT)

>> >BTW, when a barrage is fired at a titan, does it only have a firepower value
>> >of 1? Isnt this a bit stupid?
>>
>> I agree. That's something I've been noticing/remembering on a regular basis
>> for a while now, but never when I was posting.
>>
>> Personally, I think titan ought to count for about 3-4 targets, downgraded
>> appropriately for partial coverage of the base.
>
>I have also been thinking the same thing for quite a while now. Barrages
>are almost completely useless against titans because you can never get
>enough firepower out of it.

I don't think WEs should count as extra targets for barrages. Barrages
are meant to represent the saturation of a wide area with high explosives.
A titan presents a larger target than a stand of infantry, but not
necessarily a larger target than a whole detachment of units. Making
titans more vulnerable to barrages would encourage their use in ways
they are not intended to be used. Barrages are infantry killers, not
tank busters. (I consider WEs to be "mobile fortifications", not
"really big tanks")

By analagy, if you want to take out a heavily fortified underground
bunker, you hit it with specialized ordinace designed to punch through
several meters of reinforced concrete. You don't saturate everything
within 200 meters with HEAT rounds. Conversely, if you want to get
some infantry and armored vehicles out of a wooded area, you call in
artillery, not block busters.

IMO, deathrays, AT, and FP are the way to bring titans down, not
barrages.

David