Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:53:37 -0400 (EDT)

>Snap fire played an interesting part in the battle. She had a
>near-depleted detachment of jetbikes sitting in between the river
>and a steep hill. Actually, she moved a couple within 10 cm of
>my Warhound Titan, and one of them died in snap fire. Then when
>it was my turn to move, I assume she doesn't automatically get
>a snap fire shot at me. But if I move my Titan at all, it gets
>snap-fired. Not only was she able to keep my titan and a bunch
>of Land Raiders from moving past with 3 jetbikes (OK, two were
>vypers), but as far as I can tell, if the Titan had moved in any
>direction (except possibly directly away from the jetbike, depending
>on how the rule works) it would have gotten a snap fire shot (not
>too bad) and had to stop. I thought Titans were supposed to stride
>across the field, unconcerned about the riff-raff below.

The FAQ in the Battles book clears this up. The titan would be
snap-fired only if it moved closer to the bikes. Small consolation
given that they still basically prevent the titan from moving
forward during the movement phase. You can always shoot them to get
your full assault move though.

>I still think letting War Engines move twice (movement and assault)
>makes them awful fast. Do they move twice, even when not going into
>close combat?

Yes, they always move twice. Any unit can move in the assault phase
(if it has assualt orders), even if it does not go into CC. As a
matter of fact, units with assault orders must move at least 5 cm
during the assault phase (and towards an enemy unit)

>Is there any penalty at all when a HQ unit is destroyed? Is the
>replacement unit picked immediately?

Other than the loss of the unit, no. The replacement is picked right
away and the detachment is otherwise fine. It discourages honorless
gits from trying to blow away a detachment command structure like
always happened in SM/TL.

David