[Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:17:43 -0500

Hi. I'm back after a week of vacation. My wife and I replayed
our battle of the Sulphur River yesterday. We chose the same
scenario to help in learning rules--the scenario and armies didn't
change, so that simplified a bit for us. We used 1000 point armies
of Space Marine and Eldar.

There were a couple of things that just didn't seem right. I
like the idea of blast markers, but at the end of the turn, they
always either completely went away or you kept all of them. Now,
I know that just happens to be the way the dice rolled, but it
seemed odd that a detachment could have 4 blast markers and have
them just completely gone at the end of the turn. It is possible
that they had no effect on the detachment at all.

Snap fire played an interesting part in the battle. She had a
near-depleted detachment of jetbikes sitting in between the river
and a steep hill. Actually, she moved a couple within 10 cm of
my Warhound Titan, and one of them died in snap fire. Then when
it was my turn to move, I assume she doesn't automatically get
a snap fire shot at me. But if I move my Titan at all, it gets
snap-fired. Not only was she able to keep my titan and a bunch
of Land Raiders from moving past with 3 jetbikes (OK, two were
vypers), but as far as I can tell, if the Titan had moved in any
direction (except possibly directly away from the jetbike, depending
on how the rule works) it would have gotten a snap fire shot (not
too bad) and had to stop. I thought Titans were supposed to stride
across the field, unconcerned about the riff-raff below.

I still think letting War Engines move twice (movement and assault)
makes them awful fast. Do they move twice, even when not going into
close combat?

The close combats still seem like a heads/tails affair.

Is there any penalty at all when a HQ unit is destroyed? Is the
replacement unit picked immediately?

We've got to find out more about the morale rules--we ignored them
in favor of control of bridges being used as victory conditions. If
they have an effect on single detachments, that might help--we had
detachments on both sides coming back for more, to the last man.

Anything interesting in discussion last week?

andy
askinner_at_...