Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:13:23 -0400

Andy,

> It isn't that I want a way to always get rid of them. It is that
> sometimes you get rid of a pile of 'em (and I mean 3 to 5 here--we
> really haven't had more than that) all in one turn. They didn't
> seem to really do anything. I wondered whether rolling a low

Hm. As Scott mentioned, focusing fire on one detachment will increase
their blast marker load and reduce the chance that they are all
eliminated. I have personally had no complaints with respect to blast
marker effectiveness. When you use the morale rules, any blast markers
left at the end of the turn also subtract from your morale.

Also, try mixing FP and SHW's in a detachment to let them pile on even
more blast markers. Take something with a mega-cannon. Blast markers
also seem to be a function of battle size, in that every battle I've
ever fought at 2,000 points per side or above has had a lot of blast
markers and a significant effect from said blast markers. 1,000 point
battles don't seem to generate too many.

> Right, I could have turned around and moved the other way. But with
> a sheer wall on one side and a river on the other, I would have had
> to move completely away from where I wanted to go.

Ah, I didn't realize that this was the situation. If you have a very
narrow pass blocked by the enemy, you'll have to fight 'em. :-)

> OK, I had not thought of whether the snapfire rule was in effect
> during the assault phase. That makes sense. However, you can't
> move past an enemy unit in this phase, right? So even if I can
> move farther into the 10cm barrier, I can't move so that my distance
> to the nearest enemy (the jetbike) gets any further, right? Am
> I still pinned, or am I missing something else?

Right, though in a different situation than you were in, where the
titan has some room to maneuver, you can skirt enemy detachments
without violating the 'moving farther from enemy' rule. In the Sulphur
River scenario, you pretty much have to fight for those bridges, 'cause
there's no way around. If you move a warhound up to the jetbikes,
though, and shoot - assault - firefight there'll be nothing left but
your warhound and he'll own the bridge.

> I still don't see that it allows me to move past the jetbike. And
> I'm wondering more whether the speeds of the titans are too big,
> since they get to move twice, not whether they should be allowed
> to move twice. I was using a Warhound, she a Revenant and some
> Scorpions.

Well, I'd love to play with some fast Eldar titan/war engine
detachments but until then I'll reserve judgement. Based on the titans
and war engines I've played with, my opinion is that the movement rates
are fine. Remember, they do all have the cost for turning (even
scorpions) so while they can move fast in a straight line, they're not
nearly as fast if they have to turn (and don't even think about turning
around).

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius