Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:50:06 -0500

Erik K. Rutins wrote:
> Hm. As Scott mentioned, focusing fire on one detachment will increase
> their blast marker load and reduce the chance that they are all
> eliminated. I have personally had no complaints with respect to blast
> marker effectiveness. When you use the morale rules, any blast markers
> left at the end of the turn also subtract from your morale.
Maybe the problem was that, at 1000 points, 4 or 5 blast markers
seemed like a lot (we've not seen much more). With one die roll,
they were often all gone. We didn't see detachments gradually
removing blast markers. I did use a lot of combinations of FP and
SHWs. I think it was just the battle size.

> Right, though in a different situation than you were in, where the
> titan has some room to maneuver, you can skirt enemy detachments
> without violating the 'moving farther from enemy' rule. In the Sulphur
> River scenario, you pretty much have to fight for those bridges, 'cause
> there's no way around. If you move a warhound up to the jetbikes,
> though, and shoot - assault - firefight there'll be nothing left but
> your warhound and he'll own the bridge.
In our game, the titan was on the way along the river from one
bridge to the other. Temp made two points that helped--I could
have assaulted the jet bikes (we tend to forget our options), and
even if I hadn't there would have been a firefight. Then I could
have moved next turn, instead of having to wait a turn, shoot 'em
up, and move in the assault phase.

> Well, I'd love to play with some fast Eldar titan/war engine
> detachments but until then I'll reserve judgement. Based on the titans
> and war engines I've played with, my opinion is that the movement rates
> are fine. Remember, they do all have the cost for turning (even
> scorpions) so while they can move fast in a straight line, they're not
> nearly as fast if they have to turn (and don't even think about turning
> around).
Oops, something else we forgot, for her Scorpions. I'm sure they
didn't stick to the War Engine movement, and it is hard to make
her, since I know the Scorpion is a skimmer. It may have made some
difference (though not as much for shooting, since it can shoot
all around).

Thanks,
andy