RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs [was barrage]

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 07:25:25 -0400

>Mike wrote "the Orks don't have a single Anti-Tank weapon(though the lift=
>droppa is close)I just get tired of fighting off 8+ Land Raiders with no=
thing
>more
>than FP. Gargants don't last long that way."
>
>AMEN. My opp=
onent always gets an armour det of landraiders & a SM for each
>(1 to 1 ra=
tio) and a unit of three Whirlwinds - hasnt changed his army since
>we sta=
rted epic40k & nothing I can do with my orks gets even close to
>winning! =
Also, as far as I can see, not a single barrage cept for the
>flyers.
>
>Ke=
vin whose orks really are painted good but die like flies.

Landraiders are=
 the unit I also worry about the most (especially mixed
LR/infantry detatch=
ments). So I'm curious what tactics and troops you
have you used against h=
im? Also, what tactics is he using with his
units. The orks don't have AT=
 weapons, but they do have lots of options,
so I'm curious to see what has =
and hasn't worked for you.

All Land Raider detachments arn't to bad, as th=
ey are a bit vulnerable to blast markers.
I think the orks have distrupt w=
eapons, so you could use that. You could assault them. Take a large detachm=
ent, pump up the size with gretchen, and charge. Preferably with transports=
 so you can get there quickly. They can't kill everything. Also, you can ge=
t the mekboy speedsta's with Lifta Droppa's and deathrays. Those will kill =
them. (Hmmmm, Deth ray :) Also, stick a supreme commander detachment behind=
 the one assaulting. Then they will be less likely to be pinned by blast ma=
rkers, as they can re-roll the ld test. Also you can charge the supreme com=
mander in and get a reroll in cc.