Re: [Epic] E40K New Rules - Smoke Rounds

From: Thomas Lee Denney <seether_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:26:06 -0500

At 11:45 PM 6/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok, I have been talking about "new rules" needed for E40K as a war
>game. Smoke rounds, Air Defense rules, and Engineer rules being the
>biggest "missing items" IMHO.
>
>Here is my take on Smoke rounds in Epic 40K. Yes these are blind
>grenades on heavy drugs...
>
>Smoke rounds in Epic 40K
>
>Any unit with the "Artillery" modifier may be equipped with smoke rounds
>at a cost of 5 points per unit
>with smoke rounds.

This seems like a lot of points for an ability that seems so limited in
it's use. Maybe Smoke rounds are something that should be bought like a
war gear card. 5 points for the card, one card is good for one unit. No
limit as to how many you can buy.

>Using smoke rounds:
>The firing unit�s detachment must be on "Special" orders.

Maybe Smoke is fired during the Movement phase right before players begin
move. I say this because some units may want to use smoke right in front
of them to make it to cover and avoid being snap-fired on.

>Smoke rounds must be fired as part of "Preliminary Bombardment".
>
>A unit may only fire one smoke round per firing phase.

Maybe another round after initiative for the assault phase too?

>Firing the smoke round counts as the units fire for that phase. They do
>not get to fire for effect also.

I guess I see Smoke as a simple process, like throwing a grenade, one guy
shooting a round from a launcher, or popping a round out of the little tube
on top of tanks.

>For each smoke round fired place a 6cm circle (a "blast template").
>
>The template block line of site/line of fire for all units, except
>flyers. Please note that skimmers line of site IS blocked by smoke
>rounds. The smoke is a pillar, not a hemisphere.

I don't think skimmers should be affected by smoke.