Re: [Epic] E40K New Rules - Smoke Rounds

From: Joseph Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:04:48 -0500

Thomas Lee Denney wrote:

> This seems like a lot of points for an ability that seems so limited in
> it's use. Maybe Smoke rounds are something that should be bought like a
> war gear card. 5 points for the card, one card is good for one unit. No
> limit as to how many you can buy.

A complete blockage of line of sight/line of fire is NOT a minor ablity.

> >Using smoke rounds:
> >The firing unit�s detachment must be on "Special" orders.
>
> Maybe Smoke is fired during the Movement phase right before players begin
> move. I say this because some units may want to use smoke right in front
> of them to make it to cover and avoid being snap-fired on.
> >
> >Smoke rounds must be fired as part of "Preliminary Bombardment".
> >
> >A unit may only fire one smoke round per firing phase.

I didn't have my rules handy when I wrote that up. Where it says
"Preliminary" read "Preparatory", which is during the movement phase.

> I guess I see Smoke as a simple process, like throwing a grenade, one guy
> shooting a round from a launcher, or popping a round out of the little tube
> on top of tanks.

That is close range tactical smoke. That is assumed in to the fire
fight rules. Real smoke rounds are down right scary. I got to watch a
6 gun battery of 155mm guns lay down a smoke screen once. 6 guns, 3
round each, and all at once a 500 meter by 1000 meter area was like it
was London fog. The cloud went up to about 200 feet, which is why I say
they block skimmer LOS.

> >For each smoke round fired place a 6cm circle (a "blast template").
> >
> >The template block line of site/line of fire for all units, except
> >flyers. Please note that skimmers line of site IS blocked by smoke
> >rounds. The smoke is a pillar, not a hemisphere.
>
> I don't think skimmers should be affected by smoke.
Like I said, the real ones I say were high enough to cause the AH-1S to
need to climb WAY higher than they like to climb doing a pop up attack.

-
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed. P. Opus
--
Geek code: GAT -d---(----) H+ s:-- g+(?) p0? au a w+++ v-(++)*?
C++++$ U?++++ P+ L 3 N+++ K W+++ m-- v-- -po+ Y+ t++ 5 j R+++