RE: [Epic] E40K New Rules - Smoke Rounds

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:42:02 -0500

>>Any unit with the "Artillery" modifier may be equipped with smoke rounds
>>at a cost of 5 points per unit
>>with smoke rounds.
>
>This seems like a lot of points for an ability that seems so limited in
>it's use. Maybe Smoke rounds are something that should be bought like a
>war gear card. 5 points for the card, one card is good for one unit. No
>limit as to how many you can buy.

------>OHMYGODSTOPHIMBEFOREHEGIVESTHEMANEWIDEA!!!!!

        "It's the Epic Boxed expansion we said we'd never* make you buy-
        now with Cards <TM>!"

        *"never" meaning until we could think of something to put on
        cardstock besides more paper buildings, as we never put mini's
         in the expansions...

>>>Firing the smoke round counts as the units fire for that phase. They do
>>not get to fire for effect also.
>
>I guess I see Smoke as a simple process, like throwing a grenade, one guy
>shooting a round from a launcher, or popping a round out of the little tube
>on top of tanks.

----I> It is, but without some limit, I think this gets used almost
constantly...
        -Maybe a roll to place smoke (4+ to be able to fire smoke this turn) ?
        -maybe a special ability noted on certain units just like "hero" or
"heavy
        weapons"? After all, blind grenades are not all that common in 40K...

>>For each smoke round fired place a 6cm circle (a "blast template").
>>
>>The template block line of site/line of fire for all units, except
>>flyers. Please note that skimmers line of site IS blocked by smoke
>>rounds. The smoke is a pillar, not a hemisphere.
>
>I don't think skimmers should be affected by smoke.

Bet you play Eldar... : )
If we're going to stay woth the "pillar" effect as in 40 K where
-nothing-
gets thru a blind template (not even psychic powers) and it's considered
to be high enough to block everything, then it has to block skimmers..

Chris Miller