Re: [Epic] E40K New Rules - Smoke Rounds

From: Joseph Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:26:49 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> >>not get to fire for effect also.
> >
> >I guess I see Smoke as a simple process, like throwing a grenade, one guy
> >shooting a round from a launcher, or popping a round out of the little tube
> >on top of tanks.
>
> ----I> It is, but without some limit, I think this gets used almost
> constantly...
> -Maybe a roll to place smoke (4+ to be able to fire smoke this turn) ?
> -maybe a special ability noted on certain units just like "hero" or
> "heavy
> weapons"? After all, blind grenades are not all that common in 40K...

I know that, that's why it is 5 points, which is NOT cheap, when you get
down to it. Also this is NOT the little "quick, hide my ass" smoke
grenade on top a tank, this is a rather major amount of stuff. A 155mm
smoke round volley is down right scarry.

Lets not forget that in the round that they are laying smoke they are
NOT killing any one. This is the same problem that real world
commanders have to deal with. "I have access to a battalion of 155mm,
do I use them to cover my advance or do I use them blast them in to next
week?"

> >>For each smoke round fired place a 6cm circle (a "blast template").
> >>
> >>The template block line of site/line of fire for all units, except
> >>flyers. Please note that skimmers line of site IS blocked by smoke
> >>rounds. The smoke is a pillar, not a hemisphere.
> >
> >I don't think skimmers should be affected by smoke.
> >
> Bet you play Eldar... : )
> If we're going to stay woth the "pillar" effect as in 40 K where
> -nothing-
> gets thru a blind template (not even psychic powers) and it's considered
> to be high enough to block everything, then it has to block skimmers..

That is why I said that. This is a _really big_ blind grenade
--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus