RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs [was barrage]

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:50:15 -0500

> Evetything I ever haerd about GW's typos was that they refused to admit
> that a mistake had been made. The price of a Warlord battle group is
> another example of one of their errors becoming gospel. Did they ever
> officially state that the Rough Rider Co was typoed?
>
> --Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
> "Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune

The "official" reply I got from the Primarchs a while back ran something
like this:

Obviously, one of the values [i.e. either the company or detatchement
cost] is wrong. However, trying to fix this problem would cause more
confusion than leaving it alone. The cure is worse than the illness!
If your group wants to change one of the values as a house rule, that
would be fine with us.

I said then, and I'll say now, that this statement is complete and
utter horse crap. I've seen GW use this same arguement with some
of their big characters in WH40K. (One actually; can't remember which
one since I don't play the game.) It seems that one of their characters
turned out to be far more powerful than they originally thought that
he would. However, they refused to make a change in his cost because
then there would be two values in print in varius places, and people
might show up at a tournement with a force they then find out to
be illegal. (Horse crap again. Any wargamer worth his salt who goes
to a tournament *always* checks the latest errata and FAQ for his
game before departing.)

Since they refuse to fix their errors, horribly under-priced units are left
in the game and cheese heads rejoice.

In case you can't tell, this is my biggest pet-peeve with GW. Oh, for
the days of Renegades; when units that were found to be too cheap actually
had their prices corrected! See? These guys used to know what they were
doing.....

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.