Re: [Epic] Firepower vs Anti-Tank

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 07:48:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Sean Smith wrote:

> On Sun 22 Jun, Richard Dewsbery wrote:
> > Sean Smith wrote:
>
> > Great comparison, and useful. But ...
> > This is where it falls down, though. As the LandRaiders are more
> > susceptable to suppression from BMs, an enemy would always target them
> > first. In a prolonged exchange over a series of turns, the Leman Russ's
> > can take more casualties, will take longer to effectively suppress, and
> > dish out more suppression markers. Vs infantry. Against tanks or
> > titans, the Land Raiders would be able to prune the enemy down to size
> > much more effectively. As with all good wargames, it comes down to
> > choosing the right tool for the job.
> > >
> > > Conclusion
> > >
> > > If your wanting to inflict blast markers and kill units
> > > armour values 3+ or less, use Firepower. If you are wanting
> > > kill units with armour 4+, in the open or above (3+ in cover)
> > > and not so concerned about inflicting blast makers, use
> > > landraiders.
> >
> > Because of the effect of BMs, I think that the break-even point is
> > between the 4+ and weaker, for which I'd use Leman Russ's; and 5+ or
> > better armour for which land raiders should be used.
>
> I have to disagree I don't think that Land raiders that susceptable to BMs.
> In my example even in the second round of firing the Land raiders could
> inflict 4.5 kills vs 1 kill for the remaining two Leman Russ
>

> --
>
> Sean Smith
>
> Home - Seans_at_...
>
> --

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty here.

Even in the best of circumstances, with the Leman Russ tanks firing first
in all rounds of combat, both detachments in open terrain, and rounding
all results in favor of the Leman Russ and against the Land Raiders.

The Leman Russ tanks fire: 10 units x 3fp = 30fp. They get 15 dice
to hit armor 6. This is on average 2.5 kills. Assume 3. They also
inflict 3 BM on the Land Raiders.

The Land Raiders return fire: 6 units x 2at = 12at. subtract 3 for the
BM, leaves 9at. 9at on 4+ is on average 4.5 kills. Assume 4. They
inflict 2 BM.

Second turn, surviving units are 6 Leman Russ and 6 Land Raiders. Assume
on average rolls that the Leman Russ det has no BM left, and the Land
Raiders have 1BM.

Leman Russ fire first: 6 units x 3fp = 18fp. They get 9 dice. Average
1.5 hits. Assume 2. They inflict 2BM.

Land Raiders return fire: 4 units x 2at = 8at. -3 for BM gives 5at.
Assume 2 kills and 1 BM.

Third turn, Leaman Russ 4 units, Land Raiders 4 units. Land Raiders kept
1BM again.

Leman Russ fire: 4x3fp = 12fp. Gives 6 dice. One kill, and 1BM.

Land Raiders Return: 3x2at=6 -2BM = 4. Gives 2 kills and 1BM.

Fourth turn: Leman Russ 2units, no BM. Land Raiders 3 units, finally got
rid of all BM.

Leman Russ fire: 2x3fp=6 gives 3 dice. 1 kill, 1BM.

Land Raiders return: 3x2at=6 -1BM = 5. 2 kills, 1BM

Winner: Land Raiders, with 2 units left. And the Land Raiders cost 5
less points to purchase.

I'll take Land Raiders any day!
Also keep in mind that GWUS runs it's tournaments with the house rule that
SHW take no penalty at all from BM. Then the comparison becomes even more
lopsided.

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune