Re: [Epic] Ork Units & Tactics [Long]

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:54:57 -0700

---->8---- a whole heap of stuff I mainly agree with.

> Unit - Shooty Boyz

> Advice - They are an ok unit, if you need the firepower.
> Personally I would spend the points on more
> Nobz, all things being equal. I would only take
> Shooty Boyz if I was going to have to fight
> a defensive battle.

But a better deal is the Big Gunz. Same FP, same range, but artillery,
so can shoot over things and also in movement phase. Cost 13 pts too,
quite a bit less.

> Unit - Buggies

> Advice - My advice is to forget them, take battlewagons
> to fill their role instead, battle wagons
> are only 5cm slower than marine bikes, but far
> superior in terms of assault, armour and range
> than Buggies. The only reason to take buggies is
> if you have to have to the additional 10cm speed.

For which they are useful, and cheap. Use them as a backup for the main
force of Battlewagons. After getting 2 BWs into contact with each of the
enemy, use Buggies to provide that extra +1 AF for supports. With the
option to charge an additional 10cm into the enemy lines, thereby
engaging the enemy supports such as Demolishers and Hellhounds.

> Unit - Bikeboyz

> Advice - The advice I gave about buggies is the same for
> bikes.

But that 45cm range means they have the same FP as BWagons, but cost
less. Again, a useful support for the main force.

> Unit - Big Gunz & Pulsa Rockets
> Advice - Both have to shorter range and are to slow.
> Only usefully if you are on the defensive or
> when conducting a slow rumbling attack (which
> is exactley the type of attack Orks want avoid
> conducting). Only take them in exceptional
> circumstanes.

Disagree. A unit of, say, 1 Warboss, + 1 Boyz, + 2 Pulsa Rockets gives a
1/4 chance of no BMs, 1/2 chance of 2 BMs, and 1/4 chance of 3 BMs. Not
bad for 75 pts, AND it fits on a Battlefortress. 4 of these units cost
300 pts, and will do on average 8, yes, 8 BMs per turn. Which should pin
it fairly effectively.

> Unit - battlefortress

> - Can transport 5 troops.

4 I think...

> Advice - I would never take any of them at all. They
> are to slow for troop transports and they
> sitting ducks for anti tank weapons and 3 units
> of marines (worth 45 points) have the same
> assault value. The only benefit of
> battlefortresses is their fire power. But other
> Ork units can give you greater firepower for less
> cost in points.

Not at 45cm, they can't, unless you're using Big Gunz. 85 pts gets you a
Unit (always worthwhile) plus 8 AF. That is, a BM. To get the equivalent
would require:
40 pts for a Warboss
32 pts for 2 Shooty Boyz
26 pts for 2 Big Gunz
or 98 pts total.

I would recommend having some of these to give a turbo-charge to
infantry (30 cm instead of 20cm move) and to transport the less-mobile
parts of a mixed infantry/BigGunz/Stompa/DN force.

Remember, it would take 4 Land Raiders to take one out on average. Use
them either in BIG units (5) so that casualties are distributed equally,
or in singletons when facing AT shots (the normal).

> Armies Overall strengths and weaknesses:
>
> Strengths
> - Battle wagons speed and assault value
Speed? Consider: A Rhino at 32 cm can move 25cm, then have its troops
hop out and move 10cm into combat. This means a normal marine squad will
not be subject to fire from 30cm range units when assaulting. But a
BWagon means that you always get one shot incoming.

> Weaknesses - Lack of long range barrage weapons
> - Lack of anti-tank weapons
> - lack of close support weapons

Lack of ANY Long-range weapons! OK, for 550 pts, you get 2 Long-Range
barrages. Not per turn, per game. Whee.

> Tactical Advice
>
> Defence -
>
> You don't have the infantry firepower and anti tank weapons to
> engage in firefights.

Now that's not quite true. Pulsa Rockets can do great quantities of BMs
on the unwary opposition. Big Gunz are some of the cheapest FP Artillery
that there is. So put it behind a ridge!

> Orks want to get into close
> combat as soon as possible, in most situations.

TRUE. Especially in Defence. Counter-attack is the tactic of choice.
Alternately, a tactical withdrawal to just outside of 30cm can really
cause the enemy to close up too quickly next turn.

> Mount all your you Nobz on battle wagons and head towards the enemy
> at assault speed.

...and vs massed LRs, make that MARCH speed! The extra FP is negligible,
while AT weapons get no benefits from firing at marchers. And if he has
infantry in front of the LRs, use your 45 cm range stuff in prep fire to
take them out, while his LRs languish at 46cm and above.

An attack with Marching Bwagons, with an effective range of 95cm,
(3x25cm + 20cm in the assault) can often take an opponent off-guard,
usually on Normal or better still Assault orders. And if he's pinned on
Overwatch 95 cm away from your troops, ignore them and hit somewhere
else!

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture