Re: [Epic] Ork Units & Tactics [Long]

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:04:13 -0400

David Lado wrote:

[excellent rant snipped]

> These rules have
> been playtested (despite cynical comments otherwise ;), and I find it
> very unlikely that there are truely any useless units in the list.

        With the rules as written: IG tac troops. Thousand Sons.
There's probably something useless in most lists (just not as much
as there used to be).

> SM/TL was ripe with people saying units X and Y were useless in the ork
> army, and almost every time they were simply wrong. I found excellent
> uses for many "worthless" units and considered "worthless" many units
> that other ork players considered outstanding. The reason was that I
> had developed a style of play which took advantage of some units, but
> left others no useful role. I have no doubt that this pattern will
> repeat itself in e40k, so don't just crunch numbers to figure out
> who's the best. Put the units on the field, try them in different ways,
> and _then_ decide who's naughty and nice. The results may suprise
> you.

        Which doesn't mean that there can't be units that are useless
no matter what. The SM/TL IG list (and, to a lesser extent, Chaos) was
filled with such units: Hellbores, Firelords, etc etc ad nauseum.

Scott
shupes_at_...