Re: [Epic] Re: Opinions on Ork units & tactics

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

>But that 45cm range means they have the same FP as BWagons, but cost
>less. Again, a useful support for the main force.
>
>> Unit - Big Gunz & Pulsa Rockets
>> Advice - Both have to shorter range and are to slow.
>> Only usefully if you are on the defensive or
>> when conducting a slow rumbling attack (which
>> is exactley the type of attack Orks want avoid
>> conducting). Only take them in exceptional
>> circumstanes.
>
>Disagree. A unit of, say, 1 Warboss, + 1 Boyz, + 2 Pulsa Rockets gives a
>1/4 chance of no BMs, 1/2 chance of 2 BMs, and 1/4 chance of 3 BMs. Not
>bad for 75 pts, AND it fits on a Battlefortress. 4 of these units cost
>300 pts, and will do on average 8, yes, 8 BMs per turn. Which should pin
>it fairly effectively.
>

>My reply
>-----------------
>In the rules it says only infantry can hitch lift on battle wagons or
>battlefortresses and I can't see anything classifing Big Gunz or
>Pulsa Rockets as infantry.
>------------------------

Page 7 of the rule book:

"Units can have very different capabilities, so they are separated into
four different types: Infantry, vehicles, War Engines, and Flyers."

Note that the unit summarys list field artillery (Big gunz, support
weapons, ect) under infantry, not vehicles.

Furthermore, on the same page:

"INFANTRY includes all personnel not mounted inside a vehicle.
Infantry units are represented by up to five infantry models mounted
on a single base. *Field artillery (Thudd Guns, Squig catapults ect)
also fass into this catagory*. (emphasis mine)

Note that squig catapults are a type of Big Gunz.

Clearly, field artillery are classed as infantry. So the better
question is: what in the rules indicates they *can't* be mounted on
transports (ork or otherwise).

David