Re: [Epic] Just how big is a 10,000 point army

From: Brian Douglas <bdouglas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:52:18 PDT

First of all, welcome to the list!
The chances are a dozen others are typing up more helpful responses as
I'm posting this but I'll waste your bandwidth anyway...

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:47:24 -0400 Mark Leaman wrote:

> From: Mark Leaman <mleaman_at_...>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:47:24 -0400
> Subject: [Epic] Just how big is a 10,000 point army
> To: "'space-marine_at_...'" <space-marine@...>
>
> I'm new to the entire GW hobby. I got EPIC 40k a couple months ago
and
> have been plugging away at a large Blood Angel army. The guys down
at
> the shop play giant 10,000 point games from time to time. One guy is
> working on a entire chapter of Epic Ultramarines. I merely hope to
build
> up a 10,000 point force of my own, to join in the fun.

>From what people on this list have been saying 2,000 pts would give
you a good game in an evening. Don't feel you have to spend more than
you're happy with to have fun.

GW are notorious for the way they treat their shop staff but at least
those guys have access to cheaper prices and shop figures. Don't get
caught up in an arms race because no one wins.

> I'm finding out,
> it isn't as easy as I thought. I figured adding a few Titans would
help
> reduce the mass quantities needed to fill 10,000 points.

Try basing your force around an idea and experiment over a few games
to see what units suit your style of play before spending money just
to bulk out on points.

> A friend picked
> up a brand new Imperator for me at Games Day. They had them there
for
> $10 U.S. Along with a couple warlords, I've run up a total of 2,000
> points. I'm on my way. I've got 3 thunderhawks, and one of each
Space
> Marine metal blister (new ones), and one extra sprue of Space
Marines in
> addition to the armor units and infantry units that came in the box.
The
> trouble is, I fall short being able to only muster about 5,000 more
> points of troops. Should I make up the difference in more Warlords,
or
> go for more of the blisters? If so, which do you recommend and what
> combinations?
>
> P.S. My friend said he saw new Marauders and Thunderbolts, as well
as
> new Fighta-Bombas at Games Day. The guy he talked to said they would
be
> out soon, despite of not being part of the regular army releases.

My bottom line suggestion, IMVHO, is not to rush your army. If you
really enjoy a game you'll come back to it time and again so you don't
need to have everything on day 1. Consider building some small enemy
forces for your marines to fight so you're not tied to the same
players to get a game, or use some of the money you would have spent
on marines on a different games system, personally I enjoy Necromunda
(less figures to paint).

If your enemy is going to win make him work for it,
If GW are going to get all your money make them earn it!

BTW - The winner is the person who has the most fun...