Re: [Epic] ork artillery question

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:05:32 -0400 (EDT)

>hi aquestion arose in a battle last night that we couldn't find an
>answer to. can ork big gunz and pulsa rokkits "hitch a ride" and then
>fire either a prepatory barrage or normal barrage upon being dropped
>off. i thought i had read that they couldn't move and then fire but i
>couldn't find any reference to that. my opponent argued that they hadn't
>actually moved, they had been "transported" and thus could fire. at
>first i thought that was ridiculous but since i couldn't find any
>reference to the contrary i think he might be right. we resolved it by
>letting him barrage but not prepatory barrage. so what da ya think?

I agree that transported units could not be used to prep fire (though
they could be on overwatch). This seems fair and reasonable enough,
since units on overwatch can move, and the ork player could say they
are using that movement to hitch/unhitch the guns.

If your opponent is a rules lawyer (and it sounds like it), try this:

Page 45 of the rules, under Preparatory Bombardment:

"To undertake a preperatory bombardment, place a marker dice to show
the 'special orders' or "!" face by the detachment at the start of
the movement phase, before initiative is drawn. This shows that the
artillery units in the detachment can fire a preparatory barrage in
the movement phase *instead of moving*" (emphasis mine).

and

"Note that if the artillery from a detachment fires a preperatory
barrage, the the artillery units can't move"

Clearly, if a unit ends it's turn in a different spot from where it
started, it has *moved*. It doesn't matter if it was transported,
walked, teleported, or was miracled there by the power of God, it
has still moved.

This is different from what the "Orks Hitching a Lift" rule says
(page 15 of the rules):

"Ork infantry units can hitch a lift on battlewagons and Battle
Fortresses by hanging on to the outside of the vehicle. Orks
can't *move on their own* in the same phase if they hitch a lift,
but the vehicles move is unaffected..." (emphasis mine)

So units hitching a lift can move (obviously, they end up on a
different spot!), they just can't move seperately from the vehicle.
This does not in any way circumvent the restriction on "not
moving" artillery units on prep bombardment orders.

David