RE: [Epic] Flak

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:56:02 -0400

> >The thing that stands out is that gargolyes seem to be very
> >expensi=
ve compared to Harridans, even taking in account their
> >higher armour. Al=
so the fire prism is expensive, again even
> >taking in account that it fir=
es anti-tank shoots.

> > Sean Smith
>
> I agree with the Harridans, I dec=
ided to get 5 Harridans as opposed to
> getting heaps of Gargoyles. The Ha=
rridan, despite its intercept value of 1
> is a very good interceptor due t=
o the huge amounts of fire power it can
> bring to bear. Once the ariel op=
position is wiped out, it is really good at
.

> Being relatively new to the latest version of epic, I'm curious to fi=
nd out
> what peoples opinions are about which is best - interceptors or fl=
ak units?
> I must confess that I haven't tried any flak units yet, I seem =
to enjoy
> trying to obtain air superiority.

Having used flak and aircra=
ft, I find that you need both (note I have an IG
army). I use the flak to p=
rotect my artillery near baseline, while I
use Thunderbolts to protect the =
rest of my army, were necessary.

The advantage of using flak, as opposed t=
o interceptors, to protect
my artillery is: first, the flak gets to fire be=
fore aircraft do;
second, flak is available every turn of the game; third, =
flak the
way I place it discourages enemy aircraft from flying over my boar=
dedge;
and finally, flak on overwatch gets to reroll any misses, which airc=
raft
don't!

Actually, If you use the flak special orders (!) the rest of t=
he detachment is on overwatch, the flak units just get to fire at aircraft,=
 I don't think they get to re-roll
(Like a prep-bombardment, you don't get =
to re-roll). Although if you did that would rock! (That would make flak uni=
ts a little to effective though)