RE: [Epic] Flak

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:02:41 -0400

> Having used flak and aircraft, I find that you need both (note I have a=
n IG
> army). I use the flak to protect my artillery near baseline, while I=

> use Thunderbolts to protect the rest of my army, were necessary.
>
> The=
 advantage of using flak, as opposed to interceptors, to protect
> my artil=
lery is: first, the flak gets to fire before aircraft do;
> second, flak is=
 available every turn of the game; third, flak the
> way I place it discour=
ages enemy aircraft from flying over my boardedge;
> and finally, flak on o=
verwatch gets to reroll any misses, which aircraft
> don't!

        Flak on overw=
atch can't shoot at flyers. The flak
unit has to be on special orders.

        D=
o people find that flyers are too powerful without
the house rule that make=
s them fly all the way across the
board? It certainly seems like using tha=
t rule would
drastically change the flyers' effectiveness, but of course
th=
e points stay the same.

Honestly, I think that would make flyers almoust u=
seless, because you would be destroyed as it flew across the rest of the bo=
ard. If nothing else, you have to fly over the detachment you are aiming at=
, that's 5-10 snap fire rolls right there. Personally, I don't like the ide=
a of troops snap-firing at flyers, it just doesn't feel right, either that =
or the flyer should get a +1 armour or something. It's hard to imagine guys=
 pulling out pistols and shooting down aircraft moving at mach 2+. I know t=
he germans shot down B-17s with rifles during the Polesti(sp?) raid, but th=
ere is a different between a jet aircraft and a huge piston driven bomber l=
ess than 50 feet up.
-----------------------------------------------------=
"Your incorrect a=
ssumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxie=
s"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the l=
ast 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to ass=
ume that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore