Re: [Epic] Hello

From: Rob Steinberg <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 00:40:12 -0700 (PDT)

---Michael & Catherine Goh wrote:

> Hello ... I'm new to the mailing list, because of the volume that
goes
> through, I don't know how long I will stay on though - not enough
time to
> read all of the stuff. I've been playing Games Workshop games since
1989 -
> and have played all of the versions of epic to date. I only
purchased the
> latest version a few weeks ago and have had only three games to
date. I
> know it is a bit premature to gloat about tactical prowess or
anything like
> that, but I have so far been undefeated (at least let me gloat while
it
> remains true). I play Eldar, and have done so since about 2 months
of
> getting into WH40K (starting off with the Womble Marines). I have
played
> Tyranids in the last game that I played and dealt a convincing
defeat to the
> poor Imperials. So far, some my friends believe that I'm just
playing with
> powerful armies which must be "cheesy". To prove that this is not
true, I
> am going to play my next game using the Imperial army (which I think
is
> better than the Tyranids or Eldar - but Eldar look good).
>
> I am a little disappointed with the Nightspinners of the Eldar
though, I
> think that they are much too costly compared to other disruption
units.
> They cost more than twice that of a biovore, for x1.5 the range. I
think
> that disruption troops are great - but only in lots of numbers.
When I
> played using the Tyranids I had around 16 of them pounding away on
overwatch
> at some Shadowswords until my detachment of Exocrines crawled up and
> eliminated them.
>
> I think that one thing I miss the most out of all of the versions of
epic is
> stepping on people. In the "first" edition when Knights first came
out and
> we tried them out, we had a household of Imperial Knights treading
through
> massed formations of infantry. Being on charge orders meant that we
didn't
> get to kill many, but things like that were FUN.
>
> TTFN
> Michael Goh

Ahh.... The good 'ol days of Space Marine 2nd ed.....

I'm also just new to this list. In fact, I only just bought a copy of
the new Epic yesterday, so I can't comment on my tactical prowess at
all (yet!).
However, I played the old Epic for 4 years (not 1st ed; that was way
before my time), and built up a few armies in the process (20,000 of
Imperial [IG+marines], 6,000 of stunties, 6,000 Chaos and even a few
Orks)

I'm currently in the process of rebasing my numerous IG tactical
companies (great past-time!), and am still waiting to play my fisrt
game of Epic WH40K.

Oh, and just to those of you who frown upon the Imperials, I'll tell
you that I was one of those players that liked the IG for the little
men. The super-powerful-kill-everything-with-one-shot titans and
other cheese rarely made it into my army.

Christian.