Re: [Epic] Hello (E40K???)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:21:55 -0400 (EDT)

>>I tend to agree... Although I have not yet played a game of Epic
>>40K, after reading the rulebook I was a little dimayed at the
>>lack of detail and carachter. People may say that this is for an
>>"epic, sweeping feel", but I feel that the game is a heap more
>>enjoyable when you take into account unique stats and special
>>rules.

>I understand your feeling very well because I had the same when I
>first read the new rules. You must read, re-read, re-re-re-re-
>re-read again these rules to understand how interesting they are!
>I didn't play a lot of Epic 40k battles so maybe I wrong but this
>
>what I think : Epic 40k is a real new game. No Epic Space Marine
>strategy can be use in Epic 40k, your way of thinking must be
>different. I like Epic 40k because it's faster and it has some
>new rules which are really interesting.

You can say that again. All my strategies for orks in SM/TL went
out the window with the new version, since all the units stats
changed on my most important units (nobz and KOS) and the command
rule evaporated. But I very much like the new game, and I'm glad
to see the changes it brought.

I dissagree somewhat that e40k lacks the variety of SM (unless you
define variety as a mass of poorly defined and conflicting rules).
First, it should be (and has been) noted that the rules for e40k
have not been fully released. The SM and TL rules without the
suppliments have short army lists just as e40k does. Second,
alot of this so-called variability was simply glitz. For example,
you can argue that devestators, thunderers, IG support units, and
Dark Reapers were "unique" units, but they weren't really. They
fulfilled the exact same role in all armies. Likewise, there was
a difference in the stats of ork bikes, buggies, trikes,
gobsmashas, bowelburnas, and schorchers; but there wasn't any
real difference in how they played on the field (not if you played
them right).

Also, the current detachment lists provide as much "unique feel"
as the old card system. For example, I find my orks in the
exact same situation as in SM/TL: all my heavy support weapons
(Stompers, Big Gunz, ect) have to fielded as support units.

Still, the orks at least have lost alot of units which were very
unique to their army. I'm hoping that at least some of these
will reappear (but I'm actually not hopeful that the infantry
will come back, since there aren't any minis made for them any
more). It would be nice if they got back some of the units
which went AWOL in e40k, but in any case, the orks are not
simply an imperial army with a different color scheme.

>But don't worry, GW said that it would never be any Special Rules
>for Epic 40k but read the White Dwarf : you will find some new
>rules for the Space Marines and in the next issue it will be the
>turn of the Orks...

Did WD say that? I hope so. I love it when I get new toys!

David