RE: [Epic] Hello (E40K???)

From: Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 03:11:15 -0700 (PDT)

---"Miller, Chris" wrote:

> The newer version lacks some of this flexibility - there's a
> system for making units to some degree, with the "powers" list,
> instead of the old "new rules for new units" procedure. It may be a
> tighter system than the old, but it remains to be seen if it will
> "Inspire" players the way the old one did. If it was largely the
mini's,
> then I think the new one is OK, but if it was the openness of the
> rules, then there may be a problem.

True. I wrote rules for dozens of units in SM, and I very much
enjoyed doing things such as purchasing grenades for infanty, buying
special weapons for terminator stands (Lightning claws, heavy flamer
etc.), and the option for Space Marine Devastators to be equipped with
frag or krak missiles. This sort of nitpicking was one of the things
that I loved about the game. Heck, I even wrote my own (complete)
supplement (Allies), with half a dozen new armies and many more unit
types, each with their own special rules (Human Bombs, Penal
Legionaires, Sand Crawlers (Alsief Bikers) and even Aircraft Carriers
(huge tracked mobile airfields). I would find it VERY difficult to do
this with E40K, with 10 or so special abilities.

Christian

PS: I will write all of my own "new" rules, units, armies etc. on my
hamepage as I get around to it.
Address = http://www.geocites.com/TimesSquare/Castle/4109