RE: [Epic] New Rules ADA Missiles

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:53:25 -0400

> > Move RNG FP Assault Armor
> > Flier 0 0 6/6 6+
> >

> Eeeeek! If I knew that my oppent had such weapon available to him
> I would never use any flyers. While your weapon maybe realistic,
> it makes flyers sitting ducks and in my opinion unbalances the game.
> Such weapon means that a flyer with 5+ armor has over a 90% chance of
> being hit and I would guess a 75% chance of being shot down.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that, and maybe 0 0 6/3 6+ would be
better (again for 20 points).
> I also have to question the realism of such weapon. You haven't taken
> into account the counter measures that modern aircraft have, such as
> chaff and flares. You also haven't included the affects of radar
> jamming. In addition I suspect that armies in E40K wouldn't worry
> about exploding nuclear bombs high in the atmosphere to let off
> electro-magnetic pulses, which would really stuff up radio frequencies
> over long periods of time.

Don't even start talking about that UNLESS you play with the optional
rule that requires you to finish your path accross the table. The "fast
pull up with full after burners" fluff explainsion of why you don't have
to finish your attack pass means that the flyer is giving any ADA units
a "perfect" shot at the ass of the plane. I spent 10 years working on
ADA systems for the US Army (Nike Herc and Patriot systems). The
aircraft "tactics" given in the fluff/rules (item 4, page 46, rule book)
means that no, they are not doing proper SEAD work and yes, the missile
units will clean them from the sky.

Lets not forget that I made the unit rather pricy for a one shot
system. 20 points per launcher is not cheap.