Re: [Epic] My DexCon Epic 40k experiences...

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:29:03 -0400

Christian:

> Although this question was not addressed to me, I'd have to agree
with
> Fancois. Although it is now perfectly vanilla to have marines and
> Guard in the same army, it just doesn't feel right to me. It takes
> away a lot of the challenge by just saying "Well, my Guard army
> doesn't have any assault units... I'll just take a thunderhawk with
> some termies". I just feel that when I am playing with such a mixed
> force, I am playing with cheese, and for me, winning with cheese is
> not very fulfilling.

This is really the first I've heard of this being called cheese. When
I designed my army I took into account two things: 1. What I own. 2.
 What fits into the background. As far as I can tell, Space Marines
are usually fighting in the same battles as other imperials and thus
the following decisions were made:

1. For my second tank detachment, take Leman Russes instead of Land
Raiders. This is actually a downgrade, so I can't see the fuss here.
I also think that the Marines being given some armour support from
local formations is plausible.

2. For my airpower, take Thunderbolts and Marauders instead of
Thunderhawks. Again, IMHO this is a downgrade as the Thunderbolts and
Marauders were hammered by their 5+ armour all battle and hardly ever
made it down to the field. I also consider it plausible that Marines
would get some air support from the huge Imperial air formations in the
area.

3. For the titan, which I felt was necessary in what was my first
"tournament", I decided to take a multi-purpose configuration
specifically because I didn't want to field anything that was too
overbalanced. I also considered it likely that if Space Marines were
on planet with other Imperials, they would want a few titans assigned
to their sectors just in case the rebels had an Imperator (i.e. my
tourney opponents).

4. If I hadn't taken the few Imperial models that I have (and the above
are the sum total of my imperial models) I would have ended up with a
lot more Whirlwinds and Land Raiders. I would love to get some
Predators to replace the Leman Russes, etc. but I just started in this
game and I haven't gotten to the point that some of the veteran players
are in terms of army size.

I don't win with cheese - I felt that I won with tactics. I felt that
I faced a force that was equally powerful to mine and could have won in
a rematch. If you knew me personally, you would know that "cheese" is
the farthest thing from my mind when preparing for a game. However, I
also don't have the background in this system and scale to know what
people label as such. If you think my army was cheesy, I would have to
disagree. If I had the models, I feel I could beat my army with a
purely Space Marine army at least 50% of the time. How is it cheesy?

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius