Re: [Epic] My DexCon Epic 40k experiences...

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

>I have a lot of battle reports that need writing, so I thought I'd warm
>up for the bigger ones by writing up a few (relatively short and
>map-less ones) from the recently completed DexCon 6 (July 2-6) here in
>New Jersey. We had three tables of Epic going at once on Sunday, with
>one fighting Epic 40k, one fighting Epic 2nd Ed. and one running a demo
>of Epic 40k (GW Outrider). 2nd Ed. looked like a lot of fun but FWIW
>they got in one game in the time we played two (looked about even in
>terms of size). Everyone was a great sport and we had a ton of fun.

A convention in Jersey? Bummer, I wish I had known about it.
Does anyone else know of any conventions that will have epic on
the east coast (of the US)?

>100th Cadian Tank Regiment, Combat Team Yankee
>6x Leman Russ Tank
>3x Hellhound Tank
>253 Points, 6 Morale, 5 Half Strength
>
>Force Barcas
>6x Land Raider Tank
>3x Vindicator Tank
>301 Points, 7 Morale, 5 Half Strength

I'm curious why you put hellhounds and vindicators (close support
weapons IIRC) in with your armour instead of with the infantry?
Did it work out well?

>My opponent fielded an Imperial Guard army that consisted of roughly
>the following:
>
>2 large infantry regiments, roughly 1/3 of the infantry was heavy, each
>had a couple of ogryn stands and a few leman russes as organic armour
>support. There were plenty of commanders and psykers spread around.
>
>1 medium size detachment of Ultramarines in support, consisting of
>devastators and tacticals in rhinos, plus some land raiders in support.

It seems you played with more seperate armour vs infantry detachments
while your opponent went for mixed detachments. Which do you think
worked out better?

>Hope you enjoyed it.

Sure did. I'm looking forward to the next report.

David