Re: [Epic] Doomweavers vs Titans

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:43:17 -0400 (EDT)

>>> When a Doomweaver template hits a titan, the location on the titan is
>>>destroyed unless it has a 1+ save, and shields have no effect.
>>>Is this all correct?
>>
>> The rules never state that shields have no effect.
>>
>To be honest I didn't think that it ignored shields but as the eldar
>player was losing I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

For what it's worth, this question was put forth to the primarchs.
The response was basically:

"Well, I guess so (doomweavers ignore shields), but you should feel
free to make a house rule to correct this."

In short, they gave their patent "We know it's screwed up but we
won't fix it because it would cause more trouble" response they give
when ever they find a mistake in the game.

>So if it hits an unshielded titan the titan is destroyed if it
>doesn't have a 1+ save somewhere, but otherwise it is forced to move.
>I've heard people say that if a unit is on first fire it counts as
>being unable to move and so is auto destroyed, is this correct?

There are always people who will try to squeeze every extra inch
out of a bad rule. No, units that are on FF orders are not immobile,
nor are units without orders or units hit by waveserpents (this was
confirmed by the primarchs).

Basically, only those things which specifically use the word immobile
are immobilized. These include:

1 Anything under a warlocks psychic lock.
2 A titan with leg damage.
3 A titan which has fired the plasma weapon that immobilizes it
   (forgot the name).
4 A squat thunderfire AA gun.
5 Something stuck in a mole mortar crater.

There may be others which I have forgotten.

>I see a big difference between something that cannot possibly move
> eg. something affected by psychic lock, and something that is
>simply choosing not to move. We've always played that if something
>is on first fire and is forced to move then unless it is explicitly
> stated otherwise it still fires in the FF phase.
>>
>> Isn't the effect of Doomweavers, Wave Serpents, etc
>>on the Imp covered in the TL rulebook? Or maybe in a WD?
>>
>It doesn't include anything about Doomweavers, but I suppose those
>rules could be used. Someone else said it does a hit with a -6 save
>modifier on the top of the Imperator, but I don`t see why the Imperator
>should take that kind of damage when a battle titan gets off scot free
>due to a 1+ save somewhere.

Thats SM for you. The rules for shooting titans don't make much sense,
and this is simply the illogical extension of already screwed up rules.
(Frex, because you can deviate off a titans hit template, it is
actually harder to hit a titan that a rhino.)

>What would other people take instead of a Warlord battlegroup?
>I was thinking of;
> Shadow Sword Company 500 pts
> Storm Hammer 200 pts
> Artillary Company 600 pts
> Deathstrike Battery 250 pts
> 1550 pts

Depends on what you already have. I would definitely say take a Heavy
company with some support instead of the SHVs, if you don't already
have one.

David