Re: [Epic] New E40K units?

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:58:36 -0700

Christian Nielsen wrote:

> I've been recently contemplating wether I should create rules for all
> the SM/TL unit types that were bumped in E40K, as well as converting
> my own rules to E40K (see my homepage). However, it would seem that
> this would defy the purpose of the game (ie. minimum unit types and
> special rules). Would any of you like me to do such a thing? Or would
> you not be interested in such "complexisising"?

Yes, I would certainly be interested.

There are a number of caveats, however. The following is IMHO of course:
The following should be done, IN ORDER:

1. Try to make an old unit just a new model for a new unit in the same
army. Thus an Ork Battlewagon should certainly include Bonebreaka,
Bonecruncha and that Goff thing with the arms on the front whose name I
forget.

2. If 1) doesn't fit, try to copy a unit from a different army. If you
do this, bump up the pts a tadge for rarity. About 10% seems right.

3. If 2) doesn't fit, try to make it a variant on an existing unit.
Thus, an Ork Gobsmasha might have a FP of 2 and AF of 1 instead of the
other way round.

4. If 3) doesn't fit, try to make a unit using existing mechanics.
Existing Mechanics includes such items as:

Cavalry, Jump Pack, Hero, Save, Heavy Weapons, Artillery etc
D3 + X for AF

5. if 4) doesn't fit, try to vary the existing mechanics. Thus the
infamous WD Space Wolves. Try to make the abilities as generic as
possible. So, for example, say you wanted rules for Apothecaries and
TechMarines. So make sure they apply to Painboyz and Mekaniaks as well.
Best would be if the "Medic" ability provided an additional Save to one
friendly non-War Engine unit within 6cm. And would include all the
above, Techmarines (who cause a 'save' by repairing bolters, armour etc)
or Painboyz (who use a medical squigg to make the dead walk )

Only then do you introduce completely new rules.

What I would LIKE to see:

(Forex) Orks:
MagnaCannon ==> Flakwagon (see below)
Shokk Attack Gun == Kracker == Tractor Cannon == HandOfGork ==> Imperial
(AT) support weapon, while Splatta == Big Gunz
Tinbots ==> Dreadnoughts (or give them a D3 for AF)
Madboys ==> Orks with a D3 AF Alternately roll the orders dice for the
mob, rather than giving them orders as such...
Wildboyz ==> Chaos Beastmen, Ork style.
SpleenRippa == Lungbursta == Gobsmasha ==> FP 2, AF1, BWagon cost 20 pts
Wartracks ==> Should be allowed to tow Big Gunz.
Bowelburna ==> Ork version of a Hellhound (with armour 5+)
Skorcha ==> Buggy with Assault

(Forex) Imperials
Adepta Sororitas ==> As SMs
Penal batallion ==> As Imp Gd, but Stubborn
Human Bombs ==> support for Penal Batallion, Rampage, Assault.
Gorgon ==> Cross between a Demolisher and a Chimera, and give it a save.

etc.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture