RE: [Epic] My DexCon Epic 40k experiences...

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 07:21:11 -0400

 Impressive...
> Is an Imperial army (I mean Space Marine + Imperial Guard =
+ Adeptus
> Mecanicus) not too powerfull? I'm one of these fundamentalists =
who
> believe that the only way is a total Space Marine army or a total
> I=
mperial Gard army. OK perhaps with some Titans or Heavy Vehicles
> from the=
 Adeptus Mecanicus. What do you think about this?

Back when I first starte=
d 2nd edition I tried to field all marine armies.
This was because I wanted=
 to field human troops and enjoyed trying to
beat size and power with speed=
 and maneouverability.

Nowdays, however, I just can't bring myself to do t=
his. As I've learned more
of the background of the game I just can't see t=
aking more than one detatchment
of marines in a large Imperial army. The n=
umber of existing marines
described in the fluff simply won't support more =
than this. (And won't even
support this many for many battles.) So anyway=
, I've put some of my marines
on the shelf and started painting a lot of gu=
ard troops. I'll try fielding
maybe one ten-stand detatchment of marines i=
n drop pods in a 2,000 point
army. Of course, the Guard will need tanks, t=
itans, and artillary to beef
them up as well.

I guess that it's all a matt=
er of taste. It is a bit strange though, that
I feel less cheesey when I f=
ield a force you feel to be cheesey. There
is no buried insult in that las=
t line; I'm just pointing out an odd
little fact that struck me as very int=
eresting.

As for the issue of "Is it cheesey to field the best of every Im=
perial
faction in one army (marine only infantry, Guard only artiallary, an=
TL titans)," I don't really think so. I heard that arguement a lot
in th=
e SM/TL days and just never really bought it. It seemed no more
cheesey to=
 me than the Orks using differing clans, or the Eldar using
different Aspec=
ts, or Chaos using different traitor legions. It's
just that the other rac=
es had their best armour, assault, and heavy
troops all with one color on t=
heir army cards. The current system
(all Imperial factions *usually* fight=
 together) strikes me as much
more natural.

Actually, I think people found=
 fielding the special Imperial troops together cheesy, I.e the Ravenwing, D=
eathwing, ect... Intersting note, in WD210 the mention that there ar about =
a thousand marine chapters, but all are patterned after the normal ones. Th=
is is a start toward the problem of you can wipe out a chapter a game almos=
t.
        The only cheesy thing (i don't consider guard and imperials together c=
heesy) about allied imperial armies is you have so much to choose from you =
have troops good at everything, this is not true with other armies. Eldar a=
nd Orks have no good firepower, same prob with Tyranids. Chaos is another a=
rmy with lots of good options.
Although they have less variety than the imp=
erial armies. Just trying to clarify things.
------------------------------=
-----
"Your incorrect assumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still rei=
gns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents =
and precepts from the last 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assu=
mption of all is to assume that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Sh=
ore