Re: [Epic] [EPIC] Ordo Malleus

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:04:34 -0400 (EDT)

>> >2) Grey Nights should always use drop pods, although in their case
>> >they are being teleported down, not dropping. For this reason, I
>> >advocate that an Ordo Malleus detachment may not take ANY vehicles,
>> >always deploys in "drop pods", and furthermore, these drop pods
>cannot
>> >be shot down by the enemy (aint too much to shoot at).
>>
>> GK units are the same size as any other unit which can be shot down.
>> I think the enemy should get a fair shot at the drop pods, since I
>> don't think you want to give them an unfair advantage. If GKs are
>> to valuable to risk getting shot up landing, land them in a safer
>> part of the field.
>>

>-------->>>"drop pods" was in "....." because the GK's would be
> teleporting down (using drop pod rules), and you can't realy
> shoot at a teleporting unit. In this way they can do
>what they're meant to do and teleport right up next to
>Greater Daemons, hack them up, and then run away.

Now I get it :). I like the rule in principle but I see a couple of
problems with it. (1) It's still better than what marines get,
though they don't pay extra for it (ala blood angel death company)
You could make them more expensive, but I think they are already
expensive enough. (2) It would be really annoying as a chaos
player if someone dropped a det of vicious CC troops into the
middle of my army and told me it was against the rules to shoot
them. I know from experience that my opponents were often ready
to blow an aneurism over the old SM/TL command rules, and they
aren't even as bad.

I think it might be better to give them something else to represent
their teleporting. Maybe allow the SM player to place the GKs
anywhere on the board (i.e. no random dropping) during the movement
phase. Thus, the GKs would still be subject to snapfire if they
came too close to an enemy unit, and could not enter CC until after
the firing phase. However, the GKs would have the advantage of
choosing the exact spot of their entry, allowing them to choose a
safe spot from which to launch their assault. This would also
mean the SM player would have to put a little thought and strategy
into using the GKs, rather than just using them as a complicated
orbital barrage.

David