RE: [Epic] [EPIC] Ordo Malleus

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:04:37 -0400 (EDT)

>>Heck, the majority of marines probably haven't even heard
>>of them, they are so segregated.

>I seem to recall that Imperial troops other than the Grey Knights that were
>exposed to Chaos were either mind wiped (in the case of valuable troops like
>Marines) or killed (in the case of expendable troops like Imperial Guard).
>However with the release of 2nd ed WH40K and the new Imperial Guard like the
>Mordian troops etc ... they don't seem to mind the corruption influence as much.
>
>I think for verification of this check the volume of Realms of Chaos which
>had the ordo list.

You're right about the old stories of marines being mind-wiped and the
IG being executed (KIA...), all to prevent humanity from knowing the
aweful truth that chaos actually exists.

I always liked this little bit, but it did begin to grate against the
rest of the "social cosmos". I think the original idea was that chaos
incursions came unexepectedly and not all that frequently. However,
when chaos and the Eye of Terror got built up in the fluff, chaos
had a major base of operations and with people playing choas armies,
it gives the feeling that incursions were popping up every-where.
So the newer fluff talks of a large force maintained on permanent
standby in the nearby systems to counter chaos incursions. If you
are going to maintain a huge standing army to fight chaos, you can't
be constantly mind-wiping and executing the garrison forces.

Also, with the kinder, gentler GW, chaos has sort of "come out of the
closet". The knowledge of its existence is not as big a secret
anymore.

David