Re: [Epic] Ordo Malleus

From: Oki Purwanto <oki_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:12:21 +0800

At 01:32 AM 7/15/97 +0100, you wrote:

>Mark on a piece of paper the numbers that corrospond to a particular stand
>i.e. no.1
>is for Inquisitor Lord, 2 for Terminator, etc.
>
>>From a height of 30cm off the table, drop the counters.

Hmm, better make sure that the paper is heavyweight. So it won't get blown
off or dispersed so much :)

>If a counter lands off the table, it has been lost in teleportation and
>destroyed.

Kinda drastic isn't it. What about stating that the teleporter cannot get a
fix and as such the detachment cannot arrive in that turn. Try again next turn.

>If a counter lands on another stand, then move the counter off the stand
>and place it
>next to the stand, teleporters have an inbuilt safety mechanism to prevent
>teleporting
>troops from appearing on/in other stands.
>
>NOTE. Only an Ordo Malleus detachment completely made up from infantry
>units may teleport.

Definitely.

>>Christian Nielsen wrote :
>>Grey Knights ALWAYS wear terminator armour.
>
>Not so, I have the original Chaos books from where the OM are first
>mentioned and there are
>power armour equipped troops available.

Yup, but the image in most people's mind is always termie armour ! So I
would think that termie is probably the best until the Codex come out.

>What would you do if you saw a horde of T-Hawks painted in OM colours and
>heading your way?
>Exactly, SHOOT THE MOTHERS!! I see the OM as a bunch of sneaky gits who
>love to pounce on
>unsuspecting daemons and kick their butts! :)

Still, Thunderhawks would give them the flexibility in deployment. In some
worlds where the Warp activity is going off the scale, I would suppose the
GK would not want to risk being possessed during the teleportation process.

Also, hiding among normal troops would sure give those daemons a surprise
when they charge into those "normal' troops.

>>David Lado wrote :
>>Give the OM the psyker upgrade.
>
>I thought about giving every OM stand a psyker upgrade but it would make
>the OM stands too expensive.
>So I just gave them the x2 assault value bonus instead :)
>
>>Kaare Myltoft wrote :
>>If you are fielding a part of this chapter, then it should be possible to
>field vehicles
>>as well.
>
>OM dont really have any vehicle support and therefore I have not allowed
>any. OM are quick, sneaky and
>dependable troops to go Daemon hunting and shouldnt really be tied to a
>vehicle, drop pods and teleporting
>are their speciality :)

Yea, but they do still have to chase after the daemons when those daemons
break don't they ? Even though drop pods and teleporting are mentioned most
in the fluff, most of those fluffs described small scale (five-marine squad)
rapid deployment. When fighting in a major conflict eg. 1st battle of
Armageddon, where the Imperium faces off against Angron with 20
Bloodthirsters (when Bloodthirsters still kick major ass in 2nd ed Epic), I
suppose these guys would want all the help they can get.

I would propose that teleportation should be the favoured method of bringing
the GK into combat, however GK should have options of vehicles (Landraiders
and rhinos - in the case of power armour GK). No Predators, Vindicators though.

>>James Nugent wrote :
>>How would this (Ordo Malleus ability) work with the Hero skill? Always
>double?
>>Against Daemons would he be quadruple?
>
>An OM Inquisitor Lord would have his Assault Value raised to 12 but bare in
>mind that there is only one of
>him and he is supposed to be a very tough anti-daemon dude! this Lord has
>faced many Daemons through
>his life and has learnt to overcome them with psychic powers and sheer
>determination and belief in the Emperor :)

Wow, a AV of 12. I am more comfortable of a range between 8-10. After all
even Ragnar can only managed 7 :) Likewise for Solitaire, only 6 or is it 7
with Assault ?

>I would like to thank everyone for their input on my OM detachment :)
>
>Any more suggestions gratefully received :)

My 2 cents worth

Regards
Oki