Re: [Epic] Re:[EPIC] Ordo Malleus

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:09:51 -0400 (EDT)

>>David Lado wrote :
>>Have the OM charge in on Thuderchickens (Thunderhawks but painted yellow with
>>red cobs!)<-------David didnt write the last bit i did, sorry :)

I didn't write that last bit, but I wish I had :)

>What would you do if you saw a horde of T-Hawks painted in OM colours
>and heading your way? Exactly, SHOOT THE MOTHERS!! I see the OM as a
>bunch of sneaky gits who love to pounce on unsuspecting daemons and
>kick their butts! :)

I thought marines weren't suposed to be sneaky (except scouts). The
whole reason they painted their armor in bright colors was to tell
the enemy exactly who was just about to eat their lunch.

>>James Nugent wrote :
>>How would this (Ordo Malleus ability) work with the Hero skill?
>>Always double? Against Daemons would he be quadruple?
>
>An OM Inquisitor Lord would have his Assault Value raised to 12 but
>bare in mind that there is only one of him and he is supposed to be
>a very tough anti-daemon dude! this Lord has faced many Daemons
>through his life and has learnt to overcome them with psychic powers
>and sheer determination and belief in the Emperor :)

I think any infantry stand (let alone a single trooper) with an AV
of 12 in any circumstance is too much. The inquisitor should
either be taken out, as in the original version, or toned down to
6 AV. If it's the psycher you want, just give the main force the
psycher upgrade as an option. That way, players that want lots
of psychers can have them (for a price), but there is none of this
12 AV silliness. The Lord of Battles is AV 14, and it's an 8 DC
WE (the same size as a reaver), and the LOB isn't a psycher. Any
time a single infantry soldier can go head to head with a LOB and
have an even chance of winning, that's cheese.

The GKs started out as a cool idea, but are in danger of becoming
overbalanced. Consider this. All armies in the game pay 1-2
pts per point of added AV for Assault upgrades. The OM pays 2 pts
for +3 AV. Furthermore, the only units that can add 3 AV are, IIRC,
marine heros, who pay 10 pts for the honor. Yes, the OM bonus only
applies against demons, but the teleport ability guarentees they'll
get to use their bonus. The teleport itself is unbalancing because
it allows the player to deploy his troops anywhere with little fear
of losses, able to assault the turn they appear, but before the
enemy can react, and they pay zip for the honor. Alltogether, it's
a hell of deal for 2 pts! By comparison, orks pay 2 pts for a +1 AV
only (and they don't get to teleport). It's even worse if you
include the inquisitor; 2 pts for +6 AV (and teleport)!

I like the idea, but the price is too cheap. It's not even close
to fair. Also, you need to define what counts as a daemon; i.e.
are daemon engines and titans (which are daemon possessed)
counted, or just the little 'uns.

David