Re: [Epic] E40K:Tyranids Suck!!!

From: Felipe Cintron <maelstorm1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 05:35:28 -0600

>Its very interesting that people seem to fall into 2 very divergent
>camps on this issue. Some feel that CC is totally worthless, while
>others feel it totally dominates the game. I wonder how much of this
>is a reflection of players tactics versus game mechanics.
>
>>here i'll show you the way it was set up and how it came out...
>>
>>Key: WW = 1 Whirlwind
>>
>> SS = 1 Space marine
>> HH = 1 Space marine hero
>> PP = 1 Space marine Psycher
>> LL = 1 Land raider
>>
>> Note: the whirlwinds are one detachment and the
>>marine,Psycher,Hero are another and the land raiders yet
>>another detachment.
>>
>> GG = Genestealer stand
>> TT = Tyranid warrior stand
>>

>>LL LL LL LL LL LL <----|
>>ss ss ss ss ss ss |
>>ss ss hh pp ss ss 15cm
>> |
>> ww ww ww |
>> TT GG GG GG GG GG <----|
>note
>>all models within 15 cm of combat .
>>
>>Marine Assault value WW=0+ 1 for every stand within 15 cm for
>>support= 18

>>Marines have: less blast markers than enemy .. +1 bonus to dice
>> a psycher in support of hth .... +1 bonus to dice
>>
>>Tyranids have: Greater Assault value .... +1 bonus to dice
>>
>>Marine player drops a 5 and Tyranid player dropped a 2 tot:
>>

>I think you missed a rule (page 22 of the rule book, my emphasis)
>under "1. TOTAL ASSAULT VALUES"
>
>"Any other units _from the detachment involved in the combat_ which
>are with 15cm of the enemy each add a further +1 to the total..."
>
>So what you should have had was
>
>tyranids 34, marines _6_
>
>tyranids roll 2+4 = 6
>SMs roll 5+1=6 (psycher doesn't count because he's not in the CC)

in the chart and in the book it reads "Psycher in/Support"
so a psycher can lend his +1 to support fire and a +1 to the die roll

Very important since Zoanthropes have an firepower 0 and Assault Value 0

>Several people have complained that the new CC system is too
>random. While agree that it is more random, I don't think it's
>too random.
>
>With the old system, all that mattered was getting units into
>base to base contact. After that, CAF and dice rolls took over.
>What it meant was that (1) mounting an assault mostly meant
>charging headlong into the enemy and (2) because each CC was
>rolled individually, the results tended to be averaged out over
>the entire unit. This works fine and it generates a set of
>tactics to go with it.

With this i Disaagree..

in the old system you had to Protect your assests (most of the time this
was your Artillery)
with other troops now you don't .. ex...

when fighting orks or chaos you had to watch out for those fast moving
units and use others to Pin or Tactically make it unfeasable to get in to
combat.. I think this kind of tactics is alot harder to achive since you
don't just have to line em up and shoot em up just to win.

(Again my humble opinion)

>In e40k, CC is no longer a sure thing. Having twice the number
>of guys (or 2x the the assault factor) as the enemy means you
>will win most of the time, but you will lose some of the time.
>If you want a sure thing, you need to do more than just have
>more guys. You need to soften up the enemy (put BMs on him),
>you need to get an advantage in psychers, and you want to hit
>him on the flanks where you can maximize your troops in contact
>while minimizing his available for support. This means an
>assault is no longer just mobbing the enemy with CC troops, it
>involves supporting units, supporting fire, air support, and
>tactical maneuver. An assault is an integrated strategy, not a
>headlong charge (well, not as much :). I like this aspect,
>since it makes pushing the pieces around important, in addition
>to having the right units for the job.
>
>David

Supporting fire is easly done with armies that can shoot or have air
power that can survive an intercept.. something that the tyranid army
does not have!

let's see... the haridan is a 1/6 and the gargoles are 1/1's so

when the thunderhawks come in either intercepting or being intercepted
they will get 8 dice to roll a 4 or more to hit the harridan and then
roll 4 or more again to destoy it.. geez... no chance for the harridan..

(i have tested this 10 times and only 2 times did the harridan survive..
but it was driven off both times.)
and if you think 5 gargoles are gona even trun back a thunderhawk you
might as well be shooting shot guns with buck shot at terminators!

i could be totaly chessey and not take any hive tyrants and take a full
allotmetn of 18 Tyranid warriors in ever brood to lead them.. 6 *3 one
is hq when destroye one of the other 2 sets of 6 take over.. but that
would solve the Landraider destroyin the hq in the first turn of fire.

again my 2 cent's worth..

Maelstorm

ps i'm glad to have posted this earlier because of all the responses and
sorry bout posting it many times i messed up singning up and i was not
getting an epic email i put:

maelstorm1.juno.com

instead of
maelstorm_at_...