Re: [Epic] E40K:Tyranids Suck!!!

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:41:24 -0400 (EDT)

>> Also remember that you are charging 6 tyranids into the face of
>> 21 marine units. I don't think you had any reason to expect to
>> come out on the winning end of that equation (in the long run).
>>
>> Several people have complained that the new CC system is too
>> random. While agree that it is more random, I don't think it's
>> too random.
>
>I'm one of the people who think CC is too random. I've seen too many
>battles where a roll of 1 vs a roll of 6 pretty much decided the whole
>battle. I feel (I know I've said it before) that CC should be resolved
>using average dice. Then the largest spread would be 2 vs 5, and luck
>would matter less than tactics.

My feeling is that if you want a sure thing, you need an overwhelming
advanatage. If you don't have an overwhelming advantage, there should
always be the chance of failure (that's life).

It is possible to set up an automatic victory in CC, and you only need
a 2:1 advantage in AV to do it. That is not an impossible task,
but it does require careful co-ordination between multiple detachments.
If you can't manage that, then you take your chances with the gods
of fate...

Even with a +3 modifier in CC you have only a 9% chance of losing a
battle. If you can't muster a +3 modifier, then that is not much
of an assault.

David