Re: [Epic] E40K:Tyranids Suck!!!

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 10:14:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, David Lado wrote:
[chop post we've all seen 5 times anyway]
[chop corrections to close assult]

> Also remember that you are charging 6 tyranids into the face of
> 21 marine units. I don't think you had any reason to expect to
> come out on the winning end of that equation (in the long run).
>
> Several people have complained that the new CC system is too
> random. While agree that it is more random, I don't think it's
> too random.

I'm one of the people who think CC is too random. I've seen too many
battles where a roll of 1 vs a roll of 6 pretty much decided the whole
battle. I feel (I know I've said it before) that CC should be resolved
using average dice. Then the largest spread would be 2 vs 5, and luck
would matter less than tactics.

> With the old system, all that mattered was getting units into
> base to base contact. After that, CAF and dice rolls took over.
> What it meant was that (1) mounting an assault mostly meant
> charging headlong into the enemy and (2) because each CC was
> rolled individually, the results tended to be averaged out over
> the entire unit. This works fine and it generates a set of
> tactics to go with it.
>
> In e40k, CC is no longer a sure thing. Having twice the number
> of guys (or 2x the the assault factor) as the enemy means you
> will win most of the time, but you will lose some of the time.
> If you want a sure thing, you need to do more than just have
> more guys. You need to soften up the enemy (put BMs on him),
> you need to get an advantage in psychers, and you want to hit
> him on the flanks where you can maximize your troops in contact
> while minimizing his available for support. This means an
> assault is no longer just mobbing the enemy with CC troops, it
> involves supporting units, supporting fire, air support, and
> tactical maneuver. An assault is an integrated strategy, not a
> headlong charge (well, not as much :). I like this aspect,
> since it makes pushing the pieces around important, in addition
> to having the right units for the job.
>
> David

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune