[Epic] Ares Battle

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 06:46:18 PDT

>Next week, the Guard of Ar�s V and the Red Dragons Chapter will
>attempt
>to stop the tyranids invasion of Ar�s V (in SM/TL).
>
> Here my army (3000 points) :
>
> 1 Devastator Company.
> 1 Veteran Company with 3 Thunderhawk, lead by Chaplain.
> 1 Artillery Company with Marauders.
>
> What do you think about it ? (I have never struggle against
>Tyranids ).

I only fought tyranids one or two times and it was each time a

nightmare.

So, this is what I can say to help you :
        Beware! The tyranids can use special hive mind cards : you

can fear the "bio-assassin" which will attack one of your unit with a

CA of +2, the "hallucinogens" which gives the right to your opponent

to choose the orders of one of your units...
        The bugs are very, very, very (mais alors very) strong in

close assault... I saw that you took a lot of artillery and

devastator units so you should "wait and fire" a la Squat. I don't

know if you have enough good close assault units to defend your

"shooty" detachments...
        Dominatrixes and Bio-Titans : don't lose your time in trying

to shoot Dominatrixes, you will never be able to destroy them, and

beware they are deadly... The bio-titans are not very good when they

have to shoot but don't try to shoot them, with the regeneration

rules you will never be able to kill them. One way would be to kill

them in close assault but you will have a lot of looses and you will

not be sure to kill it (regenaration special card : one tyranid unit

can regenerate all its wounds...).
        The best way to kill a tyranid which can regenerate is to

kill it in CA (you will make more wounds).
        I think you should take some Titans, you will need some very

deadly weapons to destroy as many tyranids as you can. Be careful,

tyranids will not try to take the objectives, they only want to

destroy your detachments (extra VPs for destroying ennemy

detachments).

Tyranids are very powerful but you can defeat them, it's not

impossible as I thought during a long time...
I hope you will be able to post a battle report about your

confrontation with these terrible bugs, we didn't have some new Epic

Space Marine report since a very long time.

And don't forget that your trust in the Emperor is the best weapon to

defeat the ennemies of Humanity...

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

Please visit my Epic page :

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/