RE: [Epic] Alliances in Epic 40k

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:43:40 -0400

I'm working on a new campaign where an allied army of Space Marines

(+ Im=
perial Guard?) and Eldars will have to fight a band of Orks and

Chaos adep=
ts on a planet called Xeneris... But Xeneris is a dying

world as Tyranids =
began to infest it.
As you can see this will be a terrible campaign but I m=
ust resolve

one big matter.

I want to make Chaos and Orks to fight in the=
 same army but there is

a special Ork rule whichs says that all Ork initia=
tive counters can

be taken back with the others counters just before the A=
ssault

Phase... Chaos hasn't got the same rule so what can I do to mix the=
se

two armies? I don't want to sacrifice this Ork advantage but I don't

w=
ant to give an extra advantage to the Chaos too...

Honestly, I'd say just =
dump the special rule, although there are several possible solutions.

1)On=
ly get the bonus of orks are bulk of army, ie. it's an ork army with chaos =
allies, not the other way around.

2)Roll a d6. On a 4+ they get to put the=
 counters back. (I'd only use this if the army was a decent percentage orks=
, not Chaos and one ork detachment.

3)Pick assault initiative twice, once =
with the extra counters, once without. If both win, then orks and chaos get=
 to choose. If only orks win then the ork half of the army gets to choose a=
nd then the SM/Eldar allies, and then the Chaos part gets to Go.
The revers=
e is possible with Chaos winning and Orks loosing, although less likely.

T=
hose are my ideas. The first is the simplest. The second is simple, but not=
 to accurate. The third is a bit complex, but I think fairly represents the=
 complexity of such an alliance fairly well. sometimes it will be an advant=
age, sometimes not.
------------------------------------------------------=
"Your incorrect as=
sumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies=
"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the la=
st 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assu=
me that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore