Re: [Epic] Army Sizes

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:25:18 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 22-Jul-97 [Epic] Army Sizes by "Miller, Chris"_at_uniden.c
> Most of our battles, even in epic, are skirmishes.

Oh, yeah. Either that, or you can try for the "strategic pass" deal, ie
the sides of the table are sheer cliffs or something, but even that
doesn't quite seem to work for me....

>That
> 10,000 point batle I did several years back was hard to do
> even with three people per side. Now imagine a _Real_
> Imperial guard offensive.

Hmm... 0.5mm scale, anyone? Each trooper = 100 men? <grin>

>Infantry, tanks, artillery - marines would
> not even be a drop in the bucket on this scale, so when
> mixing them, think of them as elite special forces/commandos
> /stiffening troops.

In large-scale battles like this, I think Marines would be used as more
of a rapid response force -- they won't be on the front line unless it's
*very* important.

>I can see titans being concentrated
> into groups within a few mile front, and used to break through
> >enemy lines like tanks were in our real wars.

Yup. GW's writings don't really cover this, of course, but they don't
ever cover the scope beyond an Epic battle anyway. The only thing that
comes close is the story about Princeps Marnoc in the original Codex
Titanicus, but that was only Space Marines and Titans.

> I think with some historical numbers, maybe a new
> perspective on what is "realistic" and "likely" can be gained. Even with
> 1000 chapters of 1000 marines, that's 1 million marines total. Not much
> to cover a whole galaxy. They're the rapid reaction force, kinda like
> marines today (and airborne and the other rangers).

Yup. Teleport down, chop up the HQ, then let the grunts do the rest.

>It's the IG and
> the TL's who fight the meat grinder wars and defend whole planets.

Well, given the theoretical survivability GW fluffs in about Marine
Power Armour, GW probably has 'em doing more than you might think. But,
all in all, my vote's with what you said.

> Orks, 'Nids, Chaos -there's a lot of 'em out there.
> Let me know if you get anything out of this...

Yup. (Reasonably obviously, I think. ^_^ )

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...