Re: [Epic] Army Sizes

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:57:58 -0400

> It's ironic when you compare
> the
> two main sf games from Gw to a pair of WW2 boardgames: WH40K is
> like Ambush!, a solitaire game form Victory Games which won some
> awards. Both deal with individual troopers, they can carry a variety of
> weapons, morale plays a role in both games, and tanks and other
> vehicles are something of a rarity and it's mainly about the infantry.
> OK, both of these games are presented as small scale, skirmish
> type games-fine, they are.
> Then look at Epic - the main units are infantry squads and half-
> squads, and individual tanks. This is called huge, epic, etc.
> The WW2 game closest to this - individual squads, half-squads,
> and tanks, with a few special leaders and some artillery and rules
> for individual aircraft providing ground support - is Squad Leader

I have never thought to compare epic to squad leader before. A very amusing
comparison! I wonder how Titans could be intergrated into the Russian order
of battle...
There might be a possible intermediate stage between epic and Armageddon
(the GW boardgame) but I doubt whether it would make good tabletop
miniature material. It could be very difficult to depict terrain accurately
at that scale -- most Avalon hill games larger in scale than SL abstract
the terrain into areas.