Re: [Epic] comment on Rob L.'s envelopment thing

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:50:17 PDT

>I see your point. The reason the attack bikes seemed better to me is
>because I was thinking along the lines of all bike formations
>--ravenwing
>type dealies, in other words. I personally have found that, for
>detachments
>of that nature, attack bikes to be much more useful: the vanilla
>bikes
>don't accomplish much; they are chewed up by firepower and don't get
>much
>of a chance to respond. The attack bikes are both maneuverable and
>have the
>punch to make other detachments take notice of them --they are the
>only
>fast units to have 2fp and 30cm range.

I agree that attack bikes are better units than simple bikes but
I don't think that these bikes are useless.

>However, I can see that vanilla bikes could be useful in combined
>arms
>units, as extra mobility and assault factors.
>
>I would think that they would be more useful as an adjunct to
>infantry than
>vehicles: a 4+ save isn't going to eat up many sixes, so the same
>number of
>predators will still probably go down, whereas the bikes could
>shield
>infantry fairly effectively.
>
>As a further remark, bikes are cheaper than space marine scouts, but
>might
>be able to replace them for slowing down the enemy; admittedly the
>bikes
>can't enter buildings, and can only be 30cm ahead of your detachment
>hq,
>but the get the extra movement every turn, not just the first. You
>might be
>able to pull off an encirclement with just one detachment...although
>this
>would be tricky.

Ben voil�!
What can I add? Bikes are very usefull even if they are just used
to be sacrificed...

>BTW stands for By The Way, (as far as I know, anyway), and IMHO
>stands for
>In My Humble Opinion. Sorry 'bout that.

Don't be sorry...

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

Please visit my Epic page :

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/