RE: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 07:38:35 -0400

> So have the Eldar lost a bit of what guns they had, and become
> viable =
in CC now? (Before, you could design a shooty force that
could

Though I'v=
e played a lot of E40k now, I haven't played much with the
Eldar. With tha=
t caveat in mind and my previous comments...

I'm a fan of loading guardian=
s in wave serpents and falcons, keeping
them hidden until the assault phase=
 and then engaging the enemy in
firefights (thus falcons are preferable). =
Jetbikes are fast enough to
get around at least one of the flanks, letting =
you direct the movement
of the broken enemy. With your strategy rating, yo=
u should win
initiative most of the time - if not, either use Brilliant Str=
ategy or
wait until the right opportunity comes along. Eldar don't have to=
 rush
as long as they stay in cover.

Whatever you do, don't pop up in the =
shooting phase if you intend to
assault in the assault phase. This has alw=
ays led to trouble for me as
the enemy just loves to wait for your skimmers=
 and then hammer 'em.
Once you've won the firefight, you can either retreat=
 (if you lose
initiative in the movement phase) or if your opponent rallies=
 and stays
put (and you win initiative, thus making him move first) set ove=
rwatch.
 The guardians will be close enough to get within 15cm (as they jus=
won a firefight at 15cm) and the falcons can help them out. 10
guardians=
 + 10 falcons is 40 firepower and will tear that enemy
detachment a new ori=
fice.

You can also use aspects to assault. I love wave serpents as aspect=

transport vehicles. If you load up swooping hawks or warp spiders in
thes=
e things and put exarchs in the squads, you should definitely be
able to ge=
t into assault without being shot at. With an assault of 5
per squad, you =
should win. Make sure you bring Warlocks, though, that
extra +1 is sweet. =
 With Wave Serpents, you should also be able to get
the non-jump pack type =
aspects into CC (30cm movement phase + 50cm
assault phase), which is good s=
ince I like the way the howling banshees
and striking scorpions look and wo=
uld hate to leave them at home.

If you were going to do this, I'd use Harl=
iquins. Actually, I notice what I think is an error in the army lists. For =
Harliquints you can't buy the command and psycher transports. i.e you can't=
 get a Falcon or Waveserpant for the Great Harliquin or Shadow seer. No one=
 in their right mind would want to mount these guys on bikes.
(The only El=
dar with Hero...)
---------------------------------------------------------=
"Your incorrect assum=
ptions are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"=
You assume that we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last =
10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume =
that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore
-------