Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:22:27 -0400 (EDT)

David Lado <lado_at_...> writes:
> I don't think so. Their FP actually looks pretty similar to
> what it was in SM/TL. It is a little more costly becasue of
> the skimmer ability, but when you take that advantage into
> account, it's okay.

        Yay! I like having jetbikes and CC troops that skim now.

> The eldar have plenty of FP at good range
> compared to other armies. Frex, falcons have the same FP as
> predators, worse armor,but the skim and transport. Warwalkers
> have the same FP and armour as predators and cost less. Fire
> prisms cost as much as landraiders, have one less AT shot, but
> skim and have the Flak ability, and are faster. Vipers have
> the same FP as devestators and cost 2 more points, but they
> have a longer effective range (40 cm move + 30 cm range = 70 cm,
> vs 55 cm for the dev), plus they can skim.

        The problem is, most of the units you're comparing are Eldar
Support units and the other army's Main Force units. I suppose I
could try Jetbikes, but I generally have trouble picking Main Force
units that I want to field.

> Add on to that their superheavies (skimming WEs with pulsars)
> and titans and the best air units in the game (stat-wise) and
> you can put together a very shooty army if you want it.

I agree on the first two, but don't really consider the Eldar to have
the best air units. They've got one of the best selections, but I'd
rather field Doomwings, Harridan/Gargoyles, or Thunderhawks,
depending on the situation. They've arguably got the best overall air
force, but I like some of the other individual units more.

> They have a good
> combination of skimmers and cheap FP (vypers and walkers)

        But what main Force unit are you going to use to keep up with
the vypers? Jetbikes? They're a unit for firefighting, not
shooting...
        The Walkers are good in a tank-like detachment. What's the
Main force unit, Falcons? I don't get any use out of the points I
spend on the transport(2) ability when I do. (I have them get out and
walk in front)

> that can let them take advantage of their skimmers.

        I just feel that a lot of their FP is useful mainly in
firefights, not in actual shooting. I've still got the mindset that a
unit is only shooty if you use it for it's FP, and you use it to
shoot, not to firefight.

> I think
> it's in how you design the army, not what's available to them.

        Yup. But the Eldar army just feels a lot different to me than
it used to, so there's a lot of old habits to break. They feel to me
more like an assault army (CC+firefight) with WE support than a shooty
army.

        Besides, I still make tactical errors based on the old rules.

        (What, assault (firefight) with my Jetbikes? Are you crazy?
They'll never survive the first fire phase! Why do they have to skim?)

Mark