Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:51:50 -0400 (EDT)

>> > It's because they aren't pinned by anything, and shooting into
>> >a CC is determined by whether your intended target is pinned.
>>
>> Yeah I found that last night...does make it harder with the bikes
>> especially...
>
> I've found 2 uses for bikes...
>
>1) Sit on an objective
>2) Try to make them targets so the enemy shoots at them instead of
>your important units. (Charging a unit of Thunderers the turn a unit
>is exposed would be a good example of this)

I had a friend who found another use for them. If he moved first on
the first turn (lost initiative), he would run his windhost all
the way across the board at max speed and use them to clog the enemy
up so they couldn't advance more than 10-15 cm out of their
deployment zone, and they couldn't set up good fields of fire. Of
course, the windhost was completely annihilated, but it generally
allowed the rest of the army to position itself with only light
casualities.

>> As far as organization, assuming you want to keep the doomweavers
>> back in a seperate detach...I guess some guardians with some aspects to
>> keep the riff-raff off.
>
> Right, but I think you start having mobility problems unless
>you hide them all in Wave Serpents. 90cm is nice, but not *that*
>nice. I still fully expect to have to move a good bit in order to get
>in range of the enemy.

Not really. A "standard" 4 foot wide board is only about 120 cm wide,
so your skimming spinners will probobly only have to move once to get
range to most units (remember the enemy will also be moving forward).

David