Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:22:48 -0400

> The problem is, most of the units you're comparing are Eldar
> Support units and the other army's Main Force units. I suppose I
> could try Jetbikes, but I generally have trouble picking Main Force
> units that I want to field.

Guardians ain't that bad and neither are Scouts. Try this detachment -
10 scout squads in 5 wave serpents. Around 300 points, but a couple of
these can give your opponent some real grief early on. 5 scout squads
in 5 falcons works for smaller games as well. Scoot them around the
flanks and then decide whether to harry your opponent through shooting,
firefights or just keep scooting past him to engage his artillery
(which could give him some hard choices as far as movement and
targeting with arty and other detachments). Having a few small
detachments also gives you a better chance at having more detachments
than your opponent. As Eldar, IMHO, this is key as it allows you to
have extra uncontested shots at the end of the shooting phase (i.e. you
alternate, he runs out of detachments, then you pop up the rest of your
skimmers and shoot). Stay clear of his war engines and you can keep
some detachments untouched even while shooting.

> The Walkers are good in a tank-like detachment. What's the
> Main force unit, Falcons? I don't get any use out of the points I
> spend on the transport(2) ability when I do. (I have them get out
and
> walk in front)

I would field Walkers with main force Dark Reapers (in falcons if you
don't want to slow the walkers down to 15cm) and go to town on anything
within 45cm. However, I much prefer Dreadnoughts and IMHO I would
always pay the 4 extra points to get the 4 assault (just in case you
end up getting charged) if I were playing an army with any kind of fast
CC or drop pod ability.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius